What's for dinner tonight?

philoshop

3 hours ago, GreenDrake said:

Can someone please give a good tip for cooking pheasant. 40 yrs later I still can never tenderize it enough to be less than challenging to eat other than in a sauce or stew. I want to grill or pan sear it but cannot get it right. I don’t want to have yo marinate it to death or add too much junk. 

Breast, thighs and drumsticks.............here's a great way to fly   >>>--------->

(makes no difference if it's pheasant or chicken)

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/22471/baked-chicken-reuben/

We have been doing this for years with both birds.

11 hours ago, GreenDrake said:

Can someone please give a good tip for cooking pheasant. 40 yrs later I still can never tenderize it enough to be less than challenging to eat other than in a sauce or stew. I want to grill or pan sear it but cannot get it right. I don’t want to have yo marinate it to death or add too much junk. 

My Dad made it couple of times and it was excellent - but that was 30 years ago and he was a chef.  If i remember he braised it in cast iron pan and then put in oven with a sauce to cook with fresh mushrooms.  But it was a long time ago and i was like 15.  

20 hours ago, Otto said:

https://www.amazon.com/Buck-Moose-Techniques-Antelope-Antlered/dp/099694480X

Awesome book, great recipes - not one of them suggests using a can of cream of mushroom soup. 

that's right i forgot about the just use cream of _____ soup method! lol that's prevalent in some books i have.

21 hours ago, chefhunter86 said:

Yea last nights blackstrap was marinated in ponzu soy sauce lime juice, Korean hot bean paste and olive oil I kept it mild so you can still taste the meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i learned the hard way that some marinades are time sensitive. have a couple that from stupidly successful chefs. bitched and complained when they used stuff i didn't really have on hand like ground star anise. then a crushed with walnut. let it set way too long and it overpowered the favors of the lean venison. marinate it for just only a handful of hours or less in a vaccuum bag and it was incredible.

12 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Smoked 3 boneless chicken breasts with a light mayo coating so not dry. Apple chips. Diced up into small pieces Littke maple syrup x hot bbq sauce and put one in each scoop chip , pinch of shredded cheddar , in oven at 350 for a bit , each one got few drips of mighty taco sauce and then little thwack of sour cream. Labor intensive but great cfa021e6e785f13499f917df8f41902c.jpg0e9bd99088813d7c670edfe5872b1f1e.jpg1daa10b809e6e64725beab2c95c1d172.jpg

1 tray per person? I like your style:D

21 hours ago, chefhunter86 said:

Yea last nights blackstrap was marinated in ponzu soy sauce lime juice, Korean hot bean paste and olive oil I kept it mild so you can still taste the meat.

i've used avacado oil more and more because i'm mostly grilling and it takes the high heat. not sure if you use that at all.