Newbie from Westchester and Schoharie Counties

Dawn9142

Hello,  My name is Dawn. I'm very new to the hunting scene, but not new to using a bow or a fire arm.  I'm looking to obtain my NYS hunting license this summer. This way I can start my first hunting season this year.  Any websites or help would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

You should get a watershed access permit since you live in Westchester. NYC owns large patches of land (reservoirs, etc) used to supply their water needs. They allow hunting and fishing on some of these lands. The permit is free.

Westchester is bow only.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dep/html/recreation/recreation_rules.shtml

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

You should get a watershed access permit since you live in Westchester. NYC owns large patches of land (reservoirs, etc) used to supply their water needs. They allow hunting and fishing on some of these lands. The permit is free.

Westchester is bow only.

Thanks.  I will do this now... since it's free.   :D  

Westchester is bow only.

Wow!!!  That was fast.  One step down.  Now I need to work on obtaining a valid New York State hunting license.  

Thanks again.

• Like 1

Just make sure you read the rules and regulations for the watershed lands.  Each area have allow certain freedoms and restrictions.  Still, they're pretty good and not overly crowded in some cases.  Plus, if you live in Westchester, many are within a few minutes drive for you.

Welcome to NY and welcome to the forum.  Best of luck to your season.  We might even bump into one another on a watershed land.

Welcome Dawn and good luck this upcoming season :hunter:

Thank's Greg. 

Just make sure you read the rules and regulations for the watershed lands.  Each area have allow certain freedoms and restrictions.  Still, they're pretty good and not overly crowded in some cases.  Plus, if you live in Westchester, many are within a few minutes drive for you.

Welcome to NY and welcome to the forum.  Best of luck to your season.  We might even bump into one another on a watershed land.

Thanks for the tips.  Knowing me, I will follow each rule and regulation to a tee.  I want my first time to be fun! It might be nice to bump into someone who know the lay of the land.

Hey dawn welcome......Where about in westchester are you? I think Blue Mountain sportsman is doing the hunter safty course next month,but you have to sign up early.

Hello, I'm in lower Westchester and I've been to Blue Mountain before.  I just spoke with Blue Mountain and they only offer the handgun safety class.   :(. They said the closest place from Westchester is Kingston. I guess that's where I'll be headed.

Welcome aboard!  Great site with great people!  Enjoy and welcome to the wonderful world of the outdoors and its preservation.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/hunting.html

Thanks for the welcome!  I've become very familiar with the DEC site over the past day.  

Hi Dawn.

If you haven't taken it already, get enrolled in one of the DEC Hunter Safety courses. It is required to obtain a hunting license. As the season gets closer, the classes tend to fill up quickly. It is a good idea to get that done asap.

There is a separate course for bowhunting which is required if you want to hunt with a bow. Some places offer hunter+bow in one class, but that is hard to find.

for more info see:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/92267.html

Edited by jrm

Welcome to the forum.

It is not listed yet, but one of the hunting clubs around Poughkeepsie offers the bow hunting safety course.

Their was a two day class on a weekend, they check your stance and release using a bow, and have a blood trailing session to track down a "wounded" deer as part of their training.

If classes fill up, another place for the gun portion of Hunter Safety is the VFW post in Pearl River, Usually takes a couple week nights.

Even if only planning on Archery hunting only, you have to take the gun portion to get the small & big game license.  Then you can purchase your Archery tags for deer.

The most versatile firearm to use in the Hudson valley will be a shotgun.  Some of the state lands are shotgun only and others do allow rifle.