Looking for a Teacher

heavuser

Any chance anyone in or near 3M would be willing to swing by sometime and show me how to properly butcher a deer? I'll pay gas and beer! I'm not looking for someone to do it for me but really just to sit there and guide me. 

Just butchered my first one today and it didn't go as well as I thought it was going to.

• Like 1

I agree the best way to learn how to butcher would be to have someone experienced walk you through it but if that does not happen youtube is your next best option. There are all kinds of detailed videos that will show you the way.

Having the equipment needed to get it done is most important, a good work area, meat saw, sharp knives, knife sharpener, wrapping paper or a food sealer.

For me a good knife is probably the single most important tool for butchering. My favorite knife is a USA Cutco fillet knife that I keep razor sharp, I do a lot of boning and it just works great.

It really is not that hard, just take your time and dive in, good luck.

Al

• Like 2

The first couple you butcher will be just that, a butcher job. Sharp good quality knives, a cleaver or even a hatchet and a saw. Can even be a carpenters saw. YouTube is great. I'm to the point where I do a gutless job right in the field and come home with straps in a plastic bag and legs in a milk crate strapped to my 4 wheeler, then I do the detailed work on the board at home

• Like 1

I'm on the other side of the state or I'd be happy to help.

A few things to keep in mind as you start:

It's going to take some time, especially the first few. After you've done a few and are more comfortable with it, it'll go quicker. 

Skin them while they're still warm. Trust me, it's sooo much easier than fighting with the hide after it freezes to the carcass.

The actual butchering, the separating of the muscle groups, is also much easier if the deer is not frozen. Seems obvious, but I learned my lesson with this one early on. When they're still warm, you almost don't even need a knife to separate the muscles. 

Try to keep the meat clean as you go. Remove things like hair, damaged meat, silver skin, fat, etc where you can. It just makes for cleaner meat when it's packaged for later. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Gobbler Chaser said:

The first couple you butcher will be just that, a butcher job. Sharp good quality knives, a cleaver or even a hatchet and a saw. Can even be a carpenters saw. YouTube is great. I'm to the point where I do a gutless job right in the field and come home with straps in a plastic bag and legs in a milk crate strapped to my 4 wheeler, then I do the detailed work on the board at home

I will disagree regarding the need for a saw.. there is never a need for a saw.

Every bone-joint can be separated using just the knife, I use the cheap but quality mora knives. 2 sharp knives take care of the deer from skinning to deboning.

Do not use the same knife for skinning/trimming fat and deboning and cleaning the meat. For deboning meat and trimming use clean fresh fillet knife and you will be happy.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, suburbanfarmer said:

I will disagree regarding the need for a saw.. there is never a need for a saw.

Every bone-joint can be separated using just the knife, I use the cheap but quality mora knives. 2 sharp knives take care of the deer from skinning to deboning.

Do not use the same knife for skinning/trimming fat and deboning and cleaning the meat. For deboning meat and trimming use clean fresh fillet knife and you will be happy.

I have done many deer also and never used a saw. I can see where one might come in handy at times though.

It is just the way we are taught to do things. Everyone has a different method.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the tips guys.

My buddy shot a doe today and I got some more practice in. I did much much better this time. No saw needed just paid extra attention to the joints and twisting. Was able to break down the entire deer with one blade. 

I guess I don't need a teacher anymore, I just kind lost my confidence after the first one but the second one brought it right back.

The carcass had little to no meat on it after I was done.

• Like 2