Varmint Calling

I know most folks hunt Varmints at night these days and they use electronic calls and it works out well for them, I have a couple of electronic callers myself. But do not discount the effectiveness of old fashioned mouth calls, it does not take long to learn how to use them and they can work great especially for run and gunning.

My old Black Creek 3 in one call along with a Squirrel whistle have made for some pretty exciting days afield in the daytime., the big orange whistle is for my dogs which I take with me many times. 

Al

2022-11-09_174533.png

2022-11-09_180315.png

2022-11-09_174442.png

• Like 4

I always carry a few MFK diaphragm calls and a squeaker just in case the electric call dies or I want to try something different  in heavily pressured areas.

I don't remember the last time I predator hunted in the daylight, but I do have a Mojo decoy and a Foxpro wildfire 2 with the foxjack5 remote controlled decoy if needed.

Before I started night hunting, I used to love calling them in close during the day and blasting at them with the model 37 loaded with #4 buck.

• Like 1

Varmint hunting has evolved quite a bit and has become very sophisticated from what it was back when I started out, back then everyone hunted in the daytime. For my woods hunting I used to carry a Browning 3inch mag 12 ga side by side, the ranges were fairly short and back then hides were bringing big money and the deductions were nil when it came to damage. I almost always have a call in my pocket when I am out hunting, it has brightened up a slow day many times even if I do not pull the trigger.

I can not wait to get my new Marlin 62 256 mag in operation, should be just the ticket for some daytime calling.

Al

Edited by airedale