Tracking Advice

gbj

Very hard to piece together the puzzle, from a couple pictures on a forum. And a somewhat confusing testimony. Also, many times what we "see" isn't exactly what is going on, with what the arrow did to the deer. Before we can try to help, some more information may be useful. What position was the deer standing at the shot? Quarter to slightly, or away? Complete broadside? You say the shot was quick. Was the deer alert to your grandson before he shot? Did you recover the arrow? What did it look like? Anything on it other than blood? Did you do a sniff test? Gut or liver will have a distinctive smell. 

Just looking at what you posted, and not being there. One can only make a guess. Though there is some blood, it's only about a pint total, that I can see. Deer have 7 or 8 pints in them, and you say he stopped bleeding. It does appear to have some small bubbles in the four pictures of the same pool. But again, hard to tell from a picture. He may have hit low and possibly clipped one lung? Deer can survive this, or die from it. I've seen both happen. After the rain tomorrow, definitely keep looking. For the deer. And hopefully more sign. Though with temps in the 60s and the deer was hit last night, the meat may be compromised?

I truly hope your grandson can find his first buck. And really rooting for you to find him! Best of luck.

• Like 4