Tractor

Taylormike

Hey guys, serious question.  My Brother and I are going to finally venture into food plots for next season.

What tractor would you guys recommend?  Keep in mind, it can't be a newer compact.  I'm looking for old model to pull implements and brush hog.  Pull disc, bottom plow and possible tiller.  No loader necessary.  

Mainly cheap work horse.

Thanks.

Power steering is really not necessary without a loader.  Live hydraulics is especially nice for pto implements though, so something like a Ford Jubulee or 600/800 series  would be a step up from an n-series.  

I used this 8n on a bush hog, for a couple years, and it worked ok on a 5ft, light-duty, after I added an overrunning coupler.  I actually like it better than a modern CUT, for almost  all of the other tasks you mentioned, which is why I will never get rid of it.  

It is great on a plow and planter, but a little so-so on a disk or cultivator, compared to my modern 4wd turbocharged diesel.  That’s because pushing the “dead” front wheels thru soft ground  waste significant energy and fuel.   
F32BB473-6502-407B-A781-4E913B001733.thumb.jpeg.f800573ec4efce90b089f2727f3ea85a.jpeg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Taylormike said:

Wolc123, that's good information.  So you think any of those older tractors will work then.  I obviously want to go cheap and I know they're out there for 3/4k all day.

Certainly, and with the supply of diesel fuel expected get real short this winter, it’s hard go wrong with an old gas-powered tractor.  I just bought another one (farmall cub), that is being set up for snow plowing right now. It’s also a lot easier starting those old gas engines, when it’s real cold out.

In addition to snow-plowing at home, I plan on using that cub for food-plotting over at my parents place next spring.  It’s big advantage there, is that it fits in the bed of my full sized pickup, so I don’t need to buy or borrow a trailer when I haul it back and forth from over there.  

There is a nice little 6 ft pull type disk over there that I can use, and I am fixing up another 7 ft cultipacker this winter, so I can leave it over there.  My dad has a Polaris Ranger, that’s great on a sprayer, but atv’s suck on ground engaging implements.

I borrowed this trailer from my farmall mechanic, when I picked it up:

6919B9D3-AC23-4ACB-84AD-789854D0A6D3.thumb.jpeg.ef5c489ebd8d9c3ef9d9b9b85a9183ee.jpeg

One thing you want to be aware of when buying old tractors is parts availability.  The Ford n-series and hundred series are tops in that respect, but farmalls (especially the Cubs, a’s, c’s, and h’s) are a close second.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

I drove mine over to a car show, in honor of my late uncle, at the Rapids fire hall a few weeks ago.  It was the only “antique” there that still had its original factory paint and tires (1951):

A7B6B0D4-BABB-4AC3-9767-EA37A9786CFB.thumb.jpeg.70169e3255b9d52a98e1ced21f437c09.jpeg
08525F7B-8771-494B-ACF1-EAC2EA5EAB17.thumb.jpeg.64a66652c59d732d499c4d2c04eb827a.jpeg

My uncle’s 1972 Gran Torino was the star of the show.  

My tires are original, but I had to replace one of the rear rims last winter after the calcium finally rusted thru it.  It actually plows better with a 2 x 12” moldboard plow, with just one loaded rear tire (up on the sod), than it did with two.

It’s not as good on the 2-row cultivator though, so now I use my 4wd loader tractor for that. That allows me to spray roundup on the rows with a loader mounted boom, as I am cultivating.

A1A07FBC-1C18-4197-BA87-D21C427D73DC.thumb.jpeg.cdfabb41e154515d98a42590c5245df5.jpeg

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

Id get something bigger and a diesel. Old fords are serviceable but something like a 4400 will be more user friendly. Highly recommend something with rear hydraulic remotes, most tillage you will have to lift up and down. 

It wouldn’t surprise me at all, to see $ 10 per gallon diesel and $  5 per gallon gas by mid winter, especially is the dems hold the senate.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Taylormike said:

Hey guys, serious question.  My Brother and I are going to finally venture into food plots for next season.

What tractor would you guys recommend?  Keep in mind, it can't be a newer compact.  I'm looking for old model to pull implements and brush hog.  Pull disc, bottom plow and possible tiller.  No loader necessary.  

Mainly cheap work horse.

Thanks.

Is renting an option for you? Any local farmers in your area?  You thinking Clover and alfalfa or corn, Brassicas??