Wolc’s Heart (recipe)

Steuben Jerry

I tried @wolc123 ‘s pickled heart recipe last year for the first time and got hooked on it. I took a doe Wednesday night and made a jar. The trick is that it’s better after a day or so after the juice soaks in but it’s hard not to eat it before then. I figured it’ll be ready today but it’s mostly gone, lol.

wolc, hope you don’t mind that I repost the recipe? Your grandmother’s, right? Simple and delicious!

526561F9-68EB-4CAD-9B29-7C4E8EA33017.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steuben Jerry said:

I tried @wolc123 ‘s pickled heart recipe last year for the first time and got hooked on it. I took a doe Wednesday night and made a jar. The trick is that it’s better after a day or so after the juice soaks in but it’s hard not to eat it before then. I figured it’ll be ready today but it’s mostly gone, lol.

wolc, hope you don’t mind that I repost the recipe? Your grandmother’s, right? Simple and delicious!

526561F9-68EB-4CAD-9B29-7C4E8EA33017.jpeg

Hey you put that in code, some of the young ones don't know how to read cursive. lol

thx for posting though

• Like 2

Pretty close to the recipe I use.

The only difference that I have adopted is I layer throughout the jar start at the bottom.
1 layer of sliced venison heart
1 layer of sweet onions
Small amount of pickling spices, onion, garlic powder, salt pepper,
( if this particular jar is going to be HOT, then add a layer of sliced jalapenos.)

Then repeat this until the jar is full.

After pouring in the Hot temperature APPLE CIDER vinegar into the bottle all the way, put the top on it.
I used to use huge pickle jars but now have been using the large Mason jars.
Leave it on the counter and flip the jar over at least 5 times throughout the day for 3 days.

After 3 days , then open and serve.

After opening any hearts not finished in the jar, I refrigerate to eat again another day.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to alter my recipe somewhat...I have always used a very simple recipe.

Simmer the heart with a bayl leaf until done...

Allow it to cool in it's own broth...

Slice the heart..Layer it  in a nonmetal container, layer of heart, salt&pepper, layer of sliced onions, etc.

Cover with a brine 50/50 water and cider vinegar....Keep in fridge..

I do like tthe idea  of the cider/sugar mix and the pickling spices....

• Like 2

I picked up a second deer heart this morning, and this one is in good shape.  My 12 ga sst slug passed thru a few inches above it.  I blew the top off of my other one this year, on an early antlerless-season doe, with my ML.    

195A9D1E-CC29-4EC7-BC85-110FD5258249.thumb.jpeg.97e925840efca8195049db8118baf9f8.jpeg

Hopefully, I’ll end up with a few more hearts before the end of the Holiday ML season.  If not, my brother in law says he has (4) beef tongues for me.  Pickled tongue is very good also.  Those on whitetails are just too small to bother with.  The recipe is the same, and I almost always supplement my deer heart supply,  with some beef tongue.  

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

basically the same recipe that we use, except I usually throw in some red pepper flakes and occasionally use balsamic vinegar. I've been lazy a couple of times and used the saved juice of Bell View Hot and Sweet Garlic Cucumber Pickles as the pickling liquid.

• 9 months later...
On 3/31/2023 at 5:35 PM, New York Hillbilly said:

Was lucky enough to find cow tongues today. Bought five of them, and tomorrow I'll be using Wolcs recipe to pickle them. It worked great on my deer heart so I'm thinking should be good for tongue too. 

With the world crumbling in front of our eyes, I needed something to cheer me up, and this should do the trick.

It’s even better with beef tongues.  I only got three deer hearts this year, so there will be (3) beef tongues going in with them, on Valentine’s Day.  

We usually take it up North with us to the in-laws, when we go to there ice fishing on President’s weekend.  They won’t eat the tongue, which means more for me.  They do love the deer heart though.  

Too bad deer tongues were not a little bigger.  I’ve pulled a few, but not worth the effort due to the few bites that you get out of them.  Pickled moose tongue, using that recipe, was hands-down the best wild game meat that I ever sampled.  Their tongues are even bigger than beef tongues.  

So we've never eaten deer heart, but we saved one from opening day and froze it. Would it still be good to pickle if we defrosted it? I definitely want to try it with a combination of these recipes.

19 minutes ago, Bcoopss said:

So we've never eaten deer heart, but we saved one from opening day and froze it. Would it still be good to pickle if we defrosted it? I definitely want to try it with a combination of these recipes.

Yes, in fact I’ve never pickled one that was not frozen first.  I save them up all season and my wife pickles them for me every Valentine’s Day.  

I am going to alter my recipe somewhat...I have always used a very simple recipe.
Simmer the heart with a bayl leaf until done...
Allow it to cool in it's own broth...
Slice the heart..Layer it  in a nonmetal container, layer of heart, salt&pepper, layer of sliced onions, etc.
Cover with a brine 50/50 water and cider vinegar....Keep in fridge..
I do like tthe idea  of the cider/sugar mix and the pickling spices....
I agree exactly with this recipe, I did 8 hearts this year and by Valentines day they will all be eaten.

The cider vinegar is apple cider vinegar correct?

7 hours ago, TACC said:

I agree exactly with this recipe, I did 8 hearts this year and by Valentines day they will all be eaten.

The cider vinegar is apple cider vinegar correct?

Yes, apple cider vinegar.

I am really looking forward to Valentine’s Day this year.  I will only have (3) deer hearts but I just traded a vacuum sealed butt roast, from a big old buck to a buddy at work, for a fresh beef tongue. 

I found (3) other beef tongues in the freezer, while I was rearranging it last year, but I’m not sure how long they have been in there.  I’ll toss them on my carcass pile out back for the coyotes, and I’ll get my wife to use the fresh one for this years mix.  

She don’t mind working with the deer hearts at all (boiling, slicing, pickling, etc.), but (1) beef tongue a year is about all I can get out of her.  Even with that, there is always some complaining.  Some times she has even gotten me to do the slicing.  
IMG_3915.thumb.jpeg.471f78330f0c1722c566cdba7f5a19fa.jpeg

Edited by wolc123

I have found so many gut piles where the guys have left the hearts and livers behind. It is too bad that no one ever taught them the delicious treasures these organs can be. But I suppose that not all tastes are the same and some hunters just may not care for them. Kidneys are another delicacy, but unfortunately not one that I have developed a taste for. As I understand it, you simply boil the piss out of them and they are great to eat.

Anybody got a good recipe for kidneys?

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I have found so many gut piles where the guys have left the hearts and livers behind. It is too bad that no one ever taught them the delicious treasures these organs can be. But I suppose that not all tastes are the same and some hunters just may not care for them. Kidneys are another delicacy, but unfortunately not one that I have developed a taste for. As I understand it, you simply boil the piss out of them and they are great to eat.

Anybody got a good recipe for kidneys?

I save all the hearts, but usually only save the livers from deer that are 1.5 years old or younger.  They tend to be a little tough on the older deer.  There’s not much better tating, than those from the 6 month olds, which are so tender that they almost melt in your mouth.   The ones from 1.5’s are quite good also, but a bit chewier.    

The buddy at work threw in (3) 2 pound packs of beef liver along with the tongue, with the swap for the venison roast.  I’ll be having some of that for dinner tonight.  It’s not quite as tasty as whitetail button buck liver, but beef liver is usually very tender and pretty good.  

Edited by wolc123