Aging buck in field....

growalot

I like to age them in my shed.........via teeth.

You gotta make the call to shoot before you get the teeth...thus the need to be able to "age on the hoof."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Meat Manager

You gotta make the call to shoot before you get the teeth...thus the need to be able to "age on the hoof."

how many people here have enough time to look a deer over before he is out of sight? I rarely hunt fields, almost all my time is spent in the woods. You really think you can guess a deer's age that quick? No way.......

You hunting the big fields down your way? What time do those big bucks come out, after legal shooting hours?

We have gone down this road before as far as aging and my views of it....

how many people here have enough time to look a deer over before he is out of sight? I rarely hunt fields, almost all my time is spent in the woods. You really think you can guess a deer's age that quick? No way.......

You hunting the big fields down your way? What time do those big bucks come out, after legal shooting hours?

We have gone down this road before as far as aging and my views of it....

Do you only see and shoot at running deer?

I hunt in big and small woods, sometimes near field edges but not usually. I typically see deer about 70-100yds out and typically harvest inside 30 yds...sometimes it feels like forever before they get in range.

I had plenty of time in the 30 seconds last 11/3 to determine I had a good 3 or 4 yr old despite the short rack (and he was inside 10 yds when I arrowed him)...jaw boards confirmed.

It's wildlife biology not theoretical physics and it's intended to use as a guide to try to be a mindful and selective buck hunter.

If we all know your views then why be the 2nd guy (1st smartass) to post on the new topic?

Edited by Meat Manager

For me the process is this fast:

- Ass relative to shoulders

- belly relative to brisquit

- I don't think a particular age I think mature or not.

And then it's no or go....btw I'll shoot what I make for a 2 yr old on public land if he is nice.

Edited by Meat Manager
  • Like 1

If someone puts in time scouting , glassing, trailcams. you can tell a buck very fast and if it is a shooter by your own standards. unfortunatly 98% of hunter are not fanatics. they do not have or care to use their free time observing deer. these are the people behind antler restriction, and the false presentation of qdm. that being said most hunters do not care about points, age, or spread.. it has horns good enough.. forcing them to look for specfic things is met with great resistance, if they are happy with it they want to shoot it period. for those that are more fanatical..aging on the hoof becomes quick and natural with practice.

• Like 1

Do you only see and shoot at running deer? RARELY

I hunt in big and small woods, sometimes near field edges but not usually. I typically see deer about 70-100yds out and typically harvest inside 30 yds...sometimes it feels like forever before they get in range. HMMMM, OK

I had plenty of time in the 30 seconds last 11/3 to determine I had a good 3 or 4 yr old despite the short rack (and he was inside 10 yds when I arrowed him)...jaw boards confirmed. REALLY, YOU KNEW HE WAS GOING TO BE 3 or 4?  I'M IMPRESSED.

It's wildlife biology not theoretical physics and it's intended to use as a guide to try to be a mindful and selective buck hunter.  VOODOO

If we all know your views then why be the 2nd guy (1st smartass) to post on the new topic? SOMEBODY HAS TO BE FIRST.

Sent from my Lazy Boy :O

• Like 1

Sent from my Lazy Boy :O

I legally harvested 8 deer last season all but 1 under 30yds.

5 of those with the bow and a mature spring Tom with my bow all under 30yds.

As for my archery Buck last season like I said I was confident he was mature when I decided to draw.

Edited by Meat Manager

As for my archery Buck last season like I said I was confident he was mature when I decided to draw.

Not sure why you quoted that remark of mine but it certainly wasn't a shot at you.

others and myself where I hunt are going to have to learn how to do this sufficiently eventually.  it'll take time and some will put more effort into it than others.  we'll all have to figure it out though given the direction we're going.

I appreciated the link to the video, I had never seen this program before. As for aging on the fly.... the best buck I ever killed was a nice 10 pointer, it turned out to be a 4.5 year old. I didn't know how old he was until I took it in to have it checked for an archery contest. The buck field dressed out at only 147 lbs. he probably lost a lot of weight during the Rut. To me he was definitely a "shooter". In my book I try not to take any bucks smaller than 8 pointer, just my own standards, I have taken enough young bucks over the years and personally don't want to kill the young ones.  If I need the meat i'll take a doe. When in a stand and I see a buck coming in I can decide in a few seconds if it's a shooter or not. I don't need to know if it is 2.5 or 4.5 years old, I know what i am willing to shoot and what I will let go. Although I have watched several bucks as they came closer I started flipping coins, so maybe armed with these pointers from the video I will make a better decision. JMHO

Edited by gonehntn
  • Like 2

It's a few good Moments out of your week ..I like Dr. Woods....I am like you ,8 or better though I think last year Ma Nature spanked me for passing an easy shot on a very shootable 8 pt. no buck tags filled.....Yes I am "superstitious" when it comes to things like that. knew the second he finally walked away....Self fulfilling probably...still same results...Lol

At this stage just getting a big bodied deer with a good rack is fine with me...as long as it's a clean kill...I do think...as poor as the pic is...the one I posted of the 3 buck is a good example of " 3 generations"  in both body size and rack.

My pen is huge.

I legally killed 14,023 deer with my mind waves last year.

I simply wished them dead once they got within my 1/4 mi. range. They toppled over and began field dressing themselves.

In all seriousness, field judging deer is challenging for everyone. Sometimes mistakes are made and you instantly realize it. Heck I went through it last year. You can only try to do your best and if mistakes are made, roll on. It's not the end of the world. Any info to help improve the ability to field judge is welcomed by me. But, many times, I usually get to the "big enough" distinction quickly. Every once in a while it bites me.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

I shot an 8 point at 75 yards last year (in my profile pic).  He dressed out at 175 and the rack was really high.  When I see a deer, I try to judge by size of the body.  If he is big, I shoot.  When I have the time, try to see how long the nose is.  You can get a decent judgement if the snout is shorter or not.  IMHO, it works for me.  I had one person tell me my buck was 3.5 years old by the teeth and then my taxidermist said 2.5 years.  Whatever!  Got 4 grocery bags of meat out of him.

• Like 2