Leaving field stand at last light

nybuckboy

I wait it out.  Once I  had a buck I had no interest in bed down at the base of my stand watching a doe. I waited for 45 minutes,  finally called my son to come and walk in. Moved the deer out so I could leave.  Don't want to teach them to look up in my stands.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DDT said:

I wait it out.  Once I  had a buck I had no interest in bed down at the base of my stand watching a doe. I waited for 45 minutes,  finally called my son to come and walk in. Moved the deer out so I could leave.  Don't want to teach them to look up in my stands.

Thats great if you have someone who can come in to pick you up and move the deer out but I don't. That said I think that's a good way providing you can get to the field.

Had this issue on several occasions with my old bow hunting tree stand. Three does would come down the hill about every two days, right on schedule at sunset. It would still be just light enough when I would hear/see them coming. They'd slowly work their way down the hill and get to me too late, then just stand around and feed underneath me. Too dark for me to shoot with good conscience, but I could have easily many many times. Sometimes they'd leave quick, other times it could be a half hour or longer. I toss sticks at them a time or two. Pretty sure they were taunting me.

• Haha 1

If possible i call someone to come pick me up. the vehicle wont pressure them as much as them seeing you. Thats when they blow, and will get your wind to learn you.. I mean if you cant be picked up youll have to wait til dark dark and climb down as quietly a spossible and go around with wind in your favor for less impact as possible..

Called my brother a few weekends ago to get me .. there was 34 deer in the field all around me and i was in a ground blind along a ditch they cross.. he came and picked me up. 

You can also coyote howl, 

• 4 months later...

If this were to happen to me, I would just have one of my buddies come by with the UTV on the logging road. That usually gets them moving a little bit. They are accustomed to hearing the UTV and don't move away too far, but they move far enough where I could get down and out of my stand without issue.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• 6 months later...