Are yu ready for Saturday?

Northcountryman

14 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

Travel ban in Erie County as of 9pm.....if you don't need to travel through Erie County you may make it.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

I’m going to take 90 get off in pembrooke then take 77 to 39. Just talked to my neighbor out there. He said you can still see the tops of the blades of grass. 

Stuck out here in sunny southern CA till Sunday.  I’ll be running this telescoping travel rod trying for spotted bay bass at daybreak tomorrow, for the NY opener.

It will be the first one of those I’ve missed in 40 years.  My cousin at home is excited about his chances of getting the big buck that I seen back there last Sunday morning.

Besides sticking me in CA, the blizzard is keeping him from the normal extended family hunt at Allegheny state park. That’s where I killed my first deer (a button buck of course) while hunting with his dad and my Godfather 40 years ago from tomorrow. Sadly, we lost his dad last summer.

It’s only upper 60’s here right now at the hotel pool, as I am waiting patiently to come home, but it’s supposed to hit 75 tomorrow.  I’ll be spending most of the opener on Ocean Beach.  

4E3A8A6A-C509-49FB-8AE3-C9B697D39405.thumb.jpeg.8e7ba6919e66eed38e04912284475069.jpeg

9C163387-8AA1-4335-99FE-802AD7304F64.thumb.jpeg.1e8a88cf8593189087cf93ddf6a06327.jpeg

• Like 1

Just rechecked all my stuff for morning. Looks like we may dodge any big snow here, but gonna be colder than a well diggers wallet. Sadly, I never finished my box blind, so I plan to teddy up to the point I'll look like Randy from the movie The Christmas Story.  I hope I'll be able to bend my arms enough to shoulder my rifle. lol

The silver lining (if there is any)to having been a front line health care worker thoughout Covid, who's health took such a beating I'm now 150 pounds lighter than when it started, I have a crap ton of clothes to cacoon in.

Good luck folks, stay safe, and I look forward to seeing the pictures tomorrow.

• Like 1

Went up and pulled camera cards . Cleaned out wifes shooting shack and put in the buddy heater and a full 20 lbs lpg  tank . Have some interesting photos on the one that got left out all winter. Found quite a bit of old sign  a few new but small scrapes. Wife is questioning going out in the morning . Wind was whipping 30mph a little bit ago . Told her Its suppose to lay down over night . Should be good to go .

• Like 1

My first southern zone gun season deer hunt will be Thanksgiving morning, at home.  Then it’s off to the in-laws place, in the Adirondacks for a few days.  I’ll be deer hunting up there, unless a buck with three or more points on a side shows up at home on Thanksgiving morning.  

Im looking forward to the Holiday ML season more than any other this year.  I’m on a hot streak with my ML and that’s my new favorite deer killer.  That, plus having that whole week off from work, means that December 26  just can’t get here fast enough.

Screw this damn California sunshine, I’m ready for some snow and to smell some powder burning.  After getting shellacked on my last two out of state work trips (spent a night in Charlotte airport due to a missed connection, and I will be missing opening day of gun tomorrow, due to the Buffalo November blizzard of 22) I just informed my boss, in no uncertain terms, that there will be no more out of town work from me until after January 1.  

This ain’t baseball, and it’s two strikes and your out with me and air travel.  

D4605856-FAC8-4557-B2DE-7ACC5846D68A.thumb.jpeg.3ef0861a8ce8453882148b65eb4d8e4d.jpeg

• Like 2

Up...cleaned and stated pellet stove, made coffee, prepared plate of sausage gravy on toast, poked head out door before sitting down to eat.

Stomach says let's go, heart says let's go, head says..."what are you, nuts!"

Wow is it cold out there.

I'll leave the house at the last possible minute for the icy ride and walk up the hill. I can be on stand in 15 minutes or less, so won't try to be sitting in the dark waiting any longer than necessary.

Don't touch your tongue to the flag pole this morning! Good luck all!

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

My youngest son and my grandson both got a deer . Youngest son got a 7 point and grandson got a 3 point . they started out with a big problem in the morning . Neither of the ATV's would start so they had a long walk to get to their stands . 

Walking builds character. I have never ridden a 4 wheeler to hunt . I did have a friend drag a huge doe out with one. I was thankful for that . I hat to drag it a long ways to get it to a spot off of state land. I couldn't  have dragged it back up and over that hill to my truck. 

2 hours ago, fasteddie said:

My youngest son and my grandson both got a deer . Youngest son got a 7 point and grandson got a 3 point . they started out with a big problem in the morning . Neither of the ATV's would start so they had a long walk to get to their stands . 

The walk in probably helped their Hunt .... whole lot quieter !

• Like 1