Angels watching over me this morning.

First-light

Well after 45 years of hunting the thing we fear when hunting tree stands happened to me. Slippery conditions this morning with the snow and ice. 

I hunted until 9:30 and started to come down my ladder stand. It is a 20' model. About half way down my foot slipped I had one hand on the rail and that let go. I was on my way down to the ground. It took a second but felt like I had enough time to think OMG it's happening to me this is going to hurt. I fell backwards but turned and hit the ground in a horizontal position. My right arm and shoulder hit the hardest then my neck snapped and my head hit the ground.  I lay there saying I think I'm ok. I got up slowly thinking something is going to hurt real bad but I was ok. My shoulder is sore my head fine. My Angels came through thank you. Please be careful and take your time. I have been in and out of tree stands so many times and never thought it would be me. 

Edited by First-light
  • Like 23

20 minutes ago, First-light said:

Well after 45 years of hunting the thing we fear when hunting tree stands happened to me. Slippery conditions this morning with the snow and ice. 

I hunted until 9:30 and started to come down my ladder stand. It is a 20' model. About half way down my foot slipped I had one hand on the rail and that let go. I was on my way down to the ground. It took a second but felt like I had enough time to think OMG it's happening to me this is going to hurt. I fell backwards but turned and hit the ground in a horizontal position. My right arm and shoulder hit the hardest then my neck snapped and my head hit the ground.  I lay there saying I think I'm ok. I got up slowly thinking something is going to hurt real bad but I was ok. My shoulder is sore my head fine. My Angels came through thank you. Please be careful and take your time. I have been in and out of tree stands so many times and never thought it would be me. 

Glad your ok...scarey situation for sure 

• Like 1

Damn, you have had just about everything happen to you this season it seems.  So you were half way down which is 10 feet when you fell?   I hope not but you may feel it tomorrow.   I never liked tree stands and these days I hunt only from a pop up ground blinds.  Deer can be killed from the ground also.  No deer is worth breaking my neck for.   You seem to have tons of deer on your property, Burt, I am sure you'd kill plenty without having to climb trees.  One can get hurt in many ways while hunting but climbing trees increases the odds drastically as you well saw today.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Oh man, glad to hear that you seem to be ok. The older Ive gotten, the more paranoid I have become about that very thing. I havent hung a stand in years that didnt have a prussik line on it, though that isnt perfect either. I hope a little soreness is all you end up with out of it.

Me too! And I'm just up here 3 months full time. Don't need to be laid up in the hospital! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Damn, you have had just about everything happen to you this season it seems.  So you were half way down which is 10 feet when you fell?   I hope not but you may feel it tomorrow.   I never liked tree stands and these days I hunt only from a pop up ground blinds.  Deer can be killed from the ground also.  No deer is worth breaking my neck for.   You seem to have tons of deer on your property, Burt, I am sure you'd kill plenty without having to climb trees.  One can get hurt in many ways while hunting but climbing trees increases the odds drastically as you well saw today.

Hello my old friend. A thought well taken. I have plenty of spots for ground blinds. Thank you! 

41 minutes ago, First-light said:

Don't have the set up. Worth looking into.

Don't be a statistic. Strap up each and every time you go up or down a tree.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdoors/2021/04/2020-ny-tree-stand-accidents-with-injuries-11-of-13-involved-hunters-who-didnt-wear-safety-harnesses.html

Again, glad you're okay ... it doesn't usually work out that way.

• Like 2

Screenshot_20221116-161321_Chrome.thumb.jpg.19dc34b549e7a0b72d4fd7b8d7252667.jpg

Have one of these on each of my stands . Insisted my buddy put one of these on his stands same with the son.  Told them if I came up on them and they weren't using it they were going to take their stands home and were done for the season.

Fell once many years ago . Wasn't very far up but the screw in steps opened me up from knee to groin and up my torso to my arm pit.

Glad your ok .  I strongly recommend  the safety rope as it protects all the time to  your in the stand and ground 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

Screenshot_20221116-161321_Chrome.thumb.jpg.19dc34b549e7a0b72d4fd7b8d7252667.jpg

Have one of these on each of my stands . Insisted my buddy put one of these on his stands same with the son.  Told them if I came up on them and they weren't using it they were going to take their stands home and were done for the season.

Fell once many years ago . Wasn't very far up but the screw in steps opened me up from knee to groin and up my torso to my arm pit.

Glad your ok .  I strongly recommend  the safety rope as it protects all the time to  your in the stand and ground 

Advantage of this over the safety harness and straps ?

3 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

Advantage of this over the safety harness and straps ?

I believe safety harness and vest hook to this. That is how my set up it. I would the knot as I climb. I can either stay hooked to it one I am in my seat or I have another strap and carabiner above my head

Edited by Paula
  • Like 1