Angels watching over me this morning.

First-light

6 hours ago, First-light said:

Well after 45 years of hunting the thing we fear when hunting tree stands happened to me. Slippery conditions this morning with the snow and ice. 

I hunted until 9:30 and started to come down my ladder stand. It is a 20' model. About half way down my foot slipped I had one hand on the rail and that let go. I was on my way down to the ground. It took a second but felt like I had enough time to think OMG it's happening to me this is going to hurt. I fell backwards but turned and hit the ground in a horizontal position. My right arm and shoulder hit the hardest then my neck snapped and my head hit the ground.  I lay there saying I think I'm ok. I got up slowly thinking something is going to hurt real bad but I was ok. My shoulder is sore my head fine. My Angels came through thank you. Please be careful and take your time. I have been in and out of tree stands so many times and never thought it would be me. 

Glad that’s all that happened. Age has driven me towards more ladder stands and still being healthy I get a little hazardous thinking it’s just a ladder and can be run right up and down. Just shows. Accidents Happen. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

Glad that’s all that happened. Age has driven me towards more ladder stands and still being healthy I get a little hazardous thinking it’s just a ladder and can be run right up and down. Just shows. Accidents Happen. 

I actually a little more leery of ladder stands than climbers when contending with ice buildup.

15 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

I actually a little more leery of ladder stands than climbers when contending with ice buildup.

The only time I’ve struggled with my climber is having the bottom drop off while climbing. My tether came loose that held the 2 pieces together, and I was left dangling from the top with my platform about 8ft below me. That was literally a leap of faith, hoping it held when I landed on it, fortunately, it did. 

7 hours ago, DoubleDose said:

PSA: When descending (or ascending) a ladder stand, ALWAYS maintain 3 points of contact at all times.  

That's two hands and one foot or two feet and one hand.  This is occupational protocol for using ladders to avoid falling off.  Yes, there is a proper procedure to using ladders.

I’m hooked up before my feet leave the ground 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Splitear said:

The only time I’ve struggled with my climber is having the bottom drop off while climbing. My tether came loose that held the 2 pieces together, and I was left dangling from the top with my platform about 8ft below me. That was literally a leap of faith, hoping it held when I landed on it, fortunately, it did. 

Agreed; thats the only thing thats happened to me, too.  I ALWAYS make sure that tether strap is on and secure to prevent that!!

8 hours ago, First-light said:

Well after 45 years of hunting the thing we fear when hunting tree stands happened to me. Slippery conditions this morning with the snow and ice. 

I hunted until 9:30 and started to come down my ladder stand. It is a 20' model. About half way down my foot slipped I had one hand on the rail and that let go. I was on my way down to the ground. It took a second but felt like I had enough time to think OMG it's happening to me this is going to hurt. I fell backwards but turned and hit the ground in a horizontal position. My right arm and shoulder hit the hardest then my neck snapped and my head hit the ground.  I lay there saying I think I'm ok. I got up slowly thinking something is going to hurt real bad but I was ok. My shoulder is sore my head fine. My Angels came through thank you. Please be careful and take your time. I have been in and out of tree stands so many times and never thought it would be me. 

Glad you didn’t get hurt worse

• Like 1

Screenshot_20221116-161321_Chrome.thumb.jpg.19dc34b549e7a0b72d4fd7b8d7252667.jpg
Have one of these on each of my stands . Insisted my buddy put one of these on his stands same with the son.  Told them if I came up on them and they weren't using it they were going to take their stands home and were done for the season.
Fell once many years ago . Wasn't very far up but the screw in steps opened me up from knee to groin and up my torso to my arm pit.
Glad your ok .  I strongly recommend  the safety rope as it protects all the time to  your in the stand and ground 
I have these in all my stands. This morning I fell too when stepping down to the top of the bottom climbing stick. Probably only like 6ish ft but thank God it felt like I landed on a little of pillows. It was slippery and the route and prussick know were wet. The only thing I cleary remember is hearing prussick knot that's attached to my harness just going, "zzzzzzzz" all the way down. I thank the good Lord and many break falls in bjj and judo

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

15 hours ago, DoubleDose said:

PSA: When descending (or ascending) a ladder stand, ALWAYS maintain 3 points of contact at all times.  

That's two hands and one foot or two feet and one hand.  This is occupational protocol for using ladders to avoid falling off.  Yes, there is a proper procedure to using ladders.

One of the most important things to remeber on a ladder. Thank you!