New transport of firearms rules

Northcountryman

I don’t know about you guys , but I’m a little bit worried about the new law mandating transporting rifle in a locked box . What a pain in the $&” while hunting , right ?!! I spoke to somebody at Davis the other day about this law and they told me they heard that - unofficially , mind you - that sentiments among the majority of law enforcement personnel is to overlook this rule  , believing it bulls$&@“ like the rest of us . For me , I’m just gonna stick my rifle under the seat of my truck while enroute and not worry about it - what about you guys ? 

6 hours ago, Northcountryman said:

Are yu sure ? That’s would be good if you’re right !

Yes I believe they say” Unattended” which could mean simple walking into a store. It’s like the crossbow under width thing.  Do something else stupid and get charges they will add the stupid laws on but to hunt you down and ticket because the crossbow is off 2 inches is not something being pushed by many law enforcement I have been around. Most are hunters and know the stupidity but there is always those few that will charge ya and smile.  

2 minutes ago, suburbanfarmer said:

Well the case needs to be fireproof too.. so its a stupid law regardless.

Just dont leave it unattended in your car/truck and you are fine.

There's a funny meme where someone put a photoshopped 16 gun safe in their pickup cab. But yeah I think I saw somewhere where they sort of backpeddled and said hard sided. 

At the end of the day no matter the law your gun should probably be out of site anyhow and if it's out of site you should be ok. This gets more challenging at a gas station or check point if you've clearly been out or are going out hunting during deer season. But if you're IN your truck, as others have noted you're fine.

Honestly the only gotcha here is the restaurant or gas station and you guys really need to stop eating and fueling up in your hunting clothes anyhow haha.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, suburbanfarmer said:

I have a really nice aluminum double rifle case I got for a gift many years ago and have used it only once, is somewhat large and bulky, I like the soft sided case personally. I would not say it is exactly fireproof per,se but I think it may hold up under some moderate heat, regardless that is what I am going to use.

Al

• Like 1

3 hours ago, suburbanfarmer said:

Just dont leave it unattended in your car/truck and you are fine.

Fire proof , but plastic case is ok  . Typical NY laws bass ackward . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, knehrke said:

The law is written "fireproof". DEC says they will accept plastic. But that doesn't change the law. Our legislators are idiots. Details matter.

This is directly from the NY gun safety web page . https://gunsafety.ny.gov/resources-gun-owners

Safe Storage

How does the law enacted in 2022 impact transporting guns in a vehicle?

Effective September 1, 2022, if you leave your gun unattended in a vehicle, it must be unloaded and locked in a fire, impact, and tamper resistant storage depository that is hidden from view. Glove compartments and glove boxes are not appropriate safe storage depositories. A plastic or aluminum, lockable, hard-sided, gun case or safe will suffice for this purpose. 

If an adult remains with the vehicle to ensure security, a case or safe is not required. To prevent theft and ensure safety, it is always recommended that firearms be secured during transport.   Local rules for traveling with firearms also apply and may be more restrictive. For example, New York City requires that all guns be unloaded, in a case, and out of sight, even when you are with the vehicle (Penal Law § 265.45)