brush hog

Does any one know if it possible or where I can rent either a pull behind power brush mower (to pull behind a 4 wheeler) or a small tractor w/ brush hog? I need to mow/ maintain trails on about 70 acres of land in Erie County. In the past I rented a walk behind brush mower from Home Depot but it only has about a 30" cut and it beats the snot out of you.! I never got around to mowing last year and now when I went out to check my cameras I got soaked from walking in waist deep grass! 

I know it a lot of work, but you can use a good size grass trimmer with heavy duty line on it so you can weed wack you paths. I like using a trimmer cause I can cut back limbs and  leaves on the sides of the trails to keep them open. Obviously driving a tractor with a bush hog would be much less labor, but if you have to rent it then transport it then maybe a day of sweating with a trimmer might be worth it to you. I have also seen chain saw blades you can put on the head of the trimmer for small trees, but I have never used one.

United rentals on.transit.in Williamsville is a short drive from you and they have reasonable prices

I've rented from them and the Home depot on transit rd. They both work the same. this is the machine http://www.billygoat.com/product-categories/detail/bc24-series-outback-brushcutter 

I was hoping to get it done w/o all the physical abuse. It turns out I may have access to a tractor, now I just need to find a brush hog attachment. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I rented the walk behind from Grand rental Station and mowed for 7 hours on Wednesday, and 2 more hrs on Thursday morning. Got almost all the mowing done. I thought i would just take my time but once you start there's no turning back. I ache everywhere. Blisters on both hands and my legs cramped up so much on Wed afternoon, that I didn't think I was going to be able to make it back to my truck. Now I just have to re walk the lanes with a lopper and clean up the low hanging branches. I don't think i could pull back my bow right now but I will heal before the season opens. 

Put an add on craigslist early June next year and I am sure you will save yourself some pain and a whole lot of time. There are plenty of guys out there with trailers and all the equipment looking to make some extra cash to pay off the high dollar investments they made into their tractors and equipment.

I was looking for something similar a few years ago. The rental places I found only have PTO equipment (needs a tractor) and the prices were very high.

I ended up buying a "swisher" tow behind rough-cut mower. Cost was under $1500. I use it for trails and maintenance of basically a one acre field. Considering my limited options, this has been both time and cost effective. It works great with my ATV. This might be an option worth looking at.

Now that you cut it...instead of wasting all that time and effort...

Buy a gallon of glyphosate and maintain the trail by spraying. No need to go back to mowing, except maybe once every few years to knock down anything encroaching from the sides of the trail. You can spray it a few times a season and be done with it...quick and easy for the most part.

• Like 1