new gun

hi everyone

I got a rifle recently and took it to the range to site it in (.270 wsm). I want to go hunting with it, not sure exactly when. But I want to go hopefully this coming winter to hunt boar.

I am new to all of this so I was hoping to get your opinions on this. I think I need to put at least 200 rounds though my rifle to get use to it enough to hunt. Do you all agree? thanks a lot

Phil

Shooting from a bench does not give you practice for hunting.  It assures the scope is sighted in and you can properly squeeze the trigger while controlling your breath.  Once the groups you get are good, it doesn't matter how many shots you took.

Actually using the rifle from hunting positions gets you better prepared.  Take shots standing, sitting, kneeling and from the prone position to see how well you can shoot. Doing so after getting your heart rate up by running or climbing a hill will also give you real field practice. More practice doing these things will improve your hunting success.

Even doing all of that, I think 4 or 5 boxes of ammo will be enough.

• Like 3

I would suggest getting a 22 caliber rifle with the same action and similar scope as your 270 WSM.  Practice with that to get your general marksmanship where it should be and continue to practice with it throughout the year. 

Take your 270 WSM to the range and get it sighted in properly.  A lot of guys including myself like to sight in about 2 inches high at 100 yards.  This will give a zero at somewhere beyond 200 yards depending on your exact ammunition.   Then every so often go to the range, recheck your zero and shoot from various positions including the standing position.    

• Like 2

I doubt it will take 200 rounds for you to get use to your new rifle. Once its sighted in a box or two should be plenty, but by all means, fire it as much as it takes for you to have confidence in the rifle & your shooting ability.

I never have figured out how many rounds it takes to familiarize myself with a gun. I simply like to shoot, and routinely put way more shots through all my guns than is minimally required. But I will say that if it takes a box or two to get it sighted in and shooting well, you may have bought the wrong gun .... lol. Blowing up more rounds than that is more about you than the gun, and well worth the time and money in fun, recreation, and learned shooting ability. 

That"s a good 200 yard + round, popular out west.If you went to the range and sighted it in,it should be good to hunt with.To get use to it better just carry it around empty in the woods, pick out an object and bring it up to fireing positions try standing and other positions mentioned and see if you get that scope on target without moving the rifle around too much.

My long gone neighbor was born in Europe and his father was a hunting guide for boar,they used shot guns not rifles.

Idk that any of my hunting rifles or shotguns for that matter have 200 rounds thru it at all. If your putting good groups on paper at the range you want that should be all that's needed.

Your meaning to say your shotguns never had 200 rounds threw them. When did you buy them last week lol.

Theres people that put hundreds of rounds threw their shotguns everytime they go out,

I'll speak for myself but I put a few boxes threw each of my rifles during the year.

Your meaning to say your shotguns never had 200 rounds threw them. When did you buy them last week lol.

Theres people that put hundreds of rounds threw their shotguns everytime they go out,

I'll speak for myself but I put a few boxes threw each of my rifles during the year.

My shotgun is a 12 ga rifle barrel I've had it 10 plus years. My other one is just a single shot 12 that doesn't see much use except turkey season so I just make sure still patterns nicely and call it enough. 22 and pistols are exception in my safe.

Lol .... Not running a whole lot of rounds through a shotgun is one thing I definitely can sympathize with. I used to hope I could get away with as little target shooting as possible with my old Ithaca 12 gauge shoulder mangler. Most years, my pre-season slug usage was exactly 5 just to be sure the scope was still on. One of the primary reasons that I supported the rifle law in Ontario County was so that I could stuff that old weapon of shoulder anguish in the closet.

Oh sure, I am certain that I have gone well past 200 rounds through that thing over the past 45 years that I have owned it, but other than when I was shooting at deer, I can't say that I ever enjoyed any of it.

Now my .270 has already seen way more than 200 rounds and it's only a year old. Target shooting with that critter is a pleasure and I do it often.

• Like 1

hi everyone

I got a rifle recently and took it to the range to site it in (.270 wsm). I want to go hunting with it, not sure exactly when. But I want to go hopefully this coming winter to hunt boar.

I am new to all of this so I was hoping to get your opinions on this. I think I need to put at least 200 rounds though my rifle to get use to it enough to hunt. Do you all agree? thanks a lot

Phil

Hey Phil, did you shoot it yet? Thoughts?

Yeah I shot it last week. I had to have the scope remounted at the range due to the crappy mounting I had done at the place I had it done, so I didnt get to shoot it as much as I would have wanted. But it is pretty much sighted in now. Just have to fine tune it.

The recoil wasnt bad at all. I like how it shoots. Its a winchester model 70 classic. Great rifle

• Like 1

Good luck with your new gun.  I usually put about 200 rounds with all my guns combined, lighter guns are cheaper to fire and offer good practice.  I agree with Mr. VJP shooting offhand in different positions is the best practice after the gun is sighted in.