How long have you been hunting

Borngeechee

Born, back in the old days, it was a little easier to get started because there were far fewer regulations and they were a lot easier to understand. Fish & Wildlife Depts have really complicated a lot of the regs now, in an effort to allow more hunting opportunities.

That, plus the fact there are fewer places for a new guy to hunt, probably hurts the sport more than anything else.

I def agree

Born, back in the old days, it was a little easier to get started because there were far fewer regulations and they were a lot easier to understand.  Fish & Wildlife Depts have really complicated a lot of the regs now, in an effort to allow more hunting opportunities.

That, plus the fact there are fewer places for a new guy to hunt, probably hurts the sport more than anything else.

Yeah, I remember when the hunting guide was little more than a leaflet. Now, it is what, an 80 page booklet and growing.  Like Four Season's said, times sure  have changed.

I was just noticing how many people on this thread had parental guidance into hunting.... or uncles or parents of friends or grandparents. The percentage is huge. It just points up the importance of taking kids (or others) out hunting if you intend the sport to grow or maintain. There are very few self motivated or self taught people here. They all had somebody that gave them the idea and helped them get started.

So true Doc.  Many complain that it's a dying tradition but few actually put in the effort to try and teach others.

started tagging along with grandfather and uncles at age of 10 i think........ old enough to understand the phrase"STOP FIDGITING" lol seems like a long long time ago. after the informative years i began hunting on my own with friends and sometimes family members. now at the tender age of 46 i still know what the phrase stop fidgiting means.............even if i cannot spell it............ but the most important thing that i have learned is that you have to get out there in order to have something to look back on.

I started hunting at age 14, after talking my dad into buying me a shotgun and  taking me out hunting with him. Well here I am, 59 years later,  still to this day looking forward to going out into the woods. The nice thing right now is that my oldest grandson accompanies me. How much better can it get. 

• Like 1