NY DEC: Southern Zone Deer Harvest Reports Up Slightly

HuntingNY

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was the only one in my group to get a deer here this yr...suppose thats why my wool is black..we average about 8 a yr..i kno the neighboring property got 4 taken all yr..that was down..the biggest difference was the crop change..usually corn..but this yr was peas then oats midway thru summer..oats were harvested..so i havnt seen deer yarding up like usuall on the back 40...i hope with the coming yr along with the return of the corn the apples do great..past 2 yrs have sucked...early frost

We could easily do what some other states do. If you don't report your take either successful or not you are not able to buy a tag the following year.

Very simple, What unit did you hunt in? Did you harvest? What did you harvest? How many days did you hunt? What season did you harvest in etc.?

This is not rocket science!

I hunt whitetails in Idaho every year. If I don't either send in or complete an on line report of my success or lack of success I will be unable to hunt the following year. They get close to 100% reporting,their statistics are excellent and useful! Unbelievable how complicated NYS makes the obvious!!

• 3 weeks later...

Scott, if it makes sense nys will not do it never has never will, or it will take some monumental study costing thousands of tax payers $ before 20 years go by and maybe then it will be put in place hap hazzard due to budjet cuts..

Scott, if it makes sense nys will not do it never has never will, or it will take some monumental study costing thousands of tax payers $ before 20 years go by and maybe then it will be put in place hap hazzard due to budjet cuts..

I know this is the way it always seems that the DEC operates. It's not really something that can be argued very much. But let's not lose sight of the fact that the DEC is not the sole contributer to dismal state of affairs of wildlife management. Many of your favorite legislators get to share in a lot of the blame. I'm not sure just who decided that it would be a good idea to try to starve the DEC out of existance, but there seems to have been a long campaign to do exactly that by governors, state senators and state assemblymen. What else could we expect from a highly politicized government agency. I'm sure the DEC is populated with a lot of well intentioned people who are doing their best with what they have, but game management has long ago spun out of control and and been placed very low on the priority list of our state government. I wouldn't be getting my hopes up too far in terms of it ever changing for the better.

So, the DEC is made to be ineffective because of the political aspects of their operation. I know that that will never change. So is there some way of effectively dealing with the political interferences in such a way that the DEC gets the support that they need to do a better job of game management? Usually when you can identify a problem, you are more than half-way towards solving it. However, in this case, I don't see any solution. Their financial condition will always be tied to politics, and our legislators seem determined to starve that agency right out of any sort of usefulness. Any thoughts?

I think it would do the DEC well to inform hunters of exactly what the DEC goals are in the way of managing whitetails in NY... and maybe giving guidelines on how hunters could better improve their hunting experience and work towards meeting those goals in their respective areas.