Lever Actions

eagle rider

Gotta celebrate the lever action. It's an All American Original. We did it first and best. It's widely agreed that the 30/30 Winchester lever action has probably put more back straps on dinner tables than any other center fire hands down. So post them you got them. These three are a 444, and two 35 Rem 336's.

post-1049-14073782377218_thumb.jpg

Henry Lever Action Octagon Rifle - Frontier Model.  I simply wanted one to shoot/plink so I got one in 22LR so a day of fun at the range doesn't cost me an arm and a leg.  Now if only I can find some 22 ammo...

post-789-0-77444600-1407387814_thumb.jpg

post-789-0-15449800-1407387815_thumb.jpg

Edited by Elmo
  • Like 1

I have owned a few over the years but opted for a bolt gun instead.When I look back at all the deer I have killed with long guns in my life all but 1 could have been taken with a 30-30.I like to hunt with a scoped gun and I feel scoping a 30-30 throws the perfect balance of the gun and just plain doesn't look right either,still great guns!!!I have always wanted a old trapper model in 44mag,maybe one day.

It's widely agreed that the 30/30 Winchester lever action has probably put more back straps on dinner tables than any other center fire hands down.  

I wonder about that?  Yeah, it's killed a lot of deer, but the deer take in the earlier part of the 1900's wasn't nearly what it has been in the last 20-30 years.  There weren't nearly as many deer running around back then as there are today.  In the last 50 years, you see way more people carrying calibers like the .30-06, .270, .308.  At least that has been my observation.  In these recent years you've had much, much higher deer takes than you did when the .30-.30 ruled the deer woods.  So I would say these other calibers at this point might have caught up to the .30-.30 and/or probably surpassed it in total deer killed.

Steve I've thought the same, but it is said to be the most popular selling center fire round other than 223. So I think that says something in and if itself. I don't know of a single gun shop that doesn't have three or more lever 30/30's for sale, with maybe one 270 on the rack. I think 06 is probably a really close second.

My Brother-in-law from Canada borrowed my Winchester model 94 30-30 last season and took out two does (open sights because of the top eject). Both dropped in their tracks. I'm a bolt action guy myself, but bought the Winchester 30 or 40 years ago simply because of its looks .... because I just wanted it. But I never used it on deer because we were always shotgun only until last year. So, he showed me how good it works ..... lol.

Since I was a kid, I've had a thing for levers. Probably because my dad always hunted with a 336 in .35 cal. But I never actually got around to buying one til 2 weeks ago. About 10 yrs ago I walked into a gun shop expecting to leave with a lever of some sort, but the guy put a ruger compact m77 bolt in my hands and there it Stayed. Still love the gun but finally got around to scratching my itch for a lever gun. Got a used blr in .308 with the '81 stock. In spotless condition. Hope to christen it in couple months...

I have a Marlin 336 in 35 Rem it has a fixed 2x scope. been looking to add a new scope to it, any recomendations? var 2X to 4X maybe?

Thanks

Why on earth would you want a higher power scope than a 2X on a .35 Rem ?

2x gives you plenty of resolution on any shot a .35 is capable of ( say 250 yards max).

The extra eye relief and field of view of the 2x scope is more valuable than a bit more magnification, ESPECIALLY at woods hunting ranges on moving targets.

What would a variable do other than complicate things..?..

......KISS.....

• Like 1

I had a chance to buy a fine old Marlin lever gun.

I am not sure of the model number, but it was a 30-30 and it was a RIFLE, not a carbine. I believe it had a 24" octagon barrel and a half magazine.

However, it was not drilled and tapped for either a scope or reciever sights, and with my old eyes the open sights were next to worthless for me.

I felt it would be a shame to alter a fine old rifle by having it drilled and tapped, so I let it go. I needed another rifle at he time like I needed another hole in my head.

The old gent wanted $100 for it...He passed away a few years back and I hope one of his sons inherited it and appreciates it.

2x gives you plenty of resolution on any shot a .35 is capable of ( say 250 yards max).

The extra eye relief and field of view of the 2x scope is more valuable than a bit more magnification, ESPECIALLY at woods hunting ranges on moving targets.

......KISS.....

The scope and gun are over 50 years old. The scope is starting to fog up internally. Its basically shot. I'm looking for a new 2x to 4x, but not really sure what scopes are worth looking at. so maybe I'll stay with a 2x. but any recomendation on manufacture or particular scope?

Edited by mmkay

In last couple years I have put away my high powered scoped bolt actions and took out my dad's 50yr.old marlin 336 in 35 caliber..it's so small, compact, light weight and deadly which makes the treks upto my ridge top so much easier....oh and on the deadly part, it is very accurate and put a bear down last season in a hurry...230 lbs and dropped her in her tracks...it's my go to gun now..I'll take that olé gun over my thousands of dollar bolt actions any day of the week :)

I really like the leupold fx-2 4x33 on my henry 30-30. Fixed 4x. I think it would make a good choice for marlin mmkay.

Wonderful scope...I have two of them and bought both of them used but in excellent conditon at gun shows for less than $150 apiece.

Most any 2.5 or 3X would be fine..Look for one with lots of eye relief and field of view.

• Like 1

......KISS.....

A straight 4 x is great on a "brush gun."  I do like the red dot a lot, very fast and simple.  

The first rifle I ever owned was a Savage Model 99 in 358 Winchester, bought it almost 40 years ago with my paper route earnings, I think I paid $175 for it then, and I got a couple boxes of ammo thrown in with the deal. It had a Redfield 2X scope mounted on it, but I switched over a few years ago and put see-through mounts & a Bushell 4X on. Quite a few deer, 2 bears, and a hog have been dropped with this gun. I don't shoot it a whole lot these days mostly because I don't reload (yet), and .358 ammo is expensive, if you can find it at all. I've had a lot off offers to sell the gun, but I can't bring myself to sell it. I'll post a picture when I have a chance.

Got a new Win 94 in 30-30 when I was 18 or 19 and I love the gun. Its light, its compact, its foolproof, and doesn't blow your shoulder off. I typically hunt in the Catskills and can do 4 miles round trip up the mountain to the stand, and a nice light gun helps. With the new leverevolution ammo it shoots great too. Heck I'm in the middle of the woods, 100 yrds is a reeaaal long shot anyway.

My only complaint about the gun is the push button safety they added to the new version. Damn annoying.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk