Lever Actions

eagle rider

Pictures, as promised. I've searched the internet trying to find the manufacture date, one says 1917, another says 1951 (probably more realistic).

Both dates are early...The .358 Win was not developed until 1955. It's simply a .308 Win necked to .35 cal.

The monte carlo stock and tang safety would suggest a gun produced in the 60s.

Also, does it have a rotary mag or a detachable box ? The early 99s had the rotary mag.

In any case, it is a fine rifle and well worth holding on to. .358 Win. is possibly the most desirable " modern" chambering in a M99.

• Like 1

Both dates are early...The .358 Win was not developed until 1955. It's simply a .308 Win necked to .35 cal.

The monte carlo stock and tang safety would suggest a gun produced in the 60s.

Also, does it have a rotary mag or a detachable box ? The early 99s had the rotary mag.

In any case, it is a fine rifle and well worth holding on to. .358 Win. is possibly the most desirable " modern" chambering in a M99.

Pygmy- I checked the barrel, it's marked "Series A", I'm assuming Model C because it has a rotary magazine, and if you look closely at the pictures I posted, there's a small "window" on the receiver that tells you how many shells I have loaded. .358 shouldn't be hard to reload, I'm guessing I could resize .308 brass if needed, I just need the time, space, and dies to get started. Not really important when it was manufactured, I think I bought it in 1974 or 1975, and no desire to sell it any time soon.

Pygmy- I checked the barrel, it's marked "Series A", I'm assuming Model C because it has a rotary magazine, and if you look closely at the pictures I posted, there's a small "window" on the receiver that tells you how many shells I have loaded. .358 shouldn't be hard to reload, I'm guessing I could resize .308 brass if needed, I just need the time, space, and dies to get started. Not really important when it was manufactured, I think I bought it in 1974 or 1975, and no desire to sell it any time soon.

Yes, .358 Win can be formed from plentiful .308 casings, but new brass is available from Winchester, Hornady, and probably others. It's nice to have the proper headstamp on your casings.

Sadly,American hunters as a have never favored .35 cal. rifles, with the notable exception of the .35 Rem.

The .358 is an excellent medium and big game cartridge capable of cleanly taking the largest North American game with proper bullets ,as well as being a superb deer and black bear cartridge.

I think you will find that used .358s often command a premium price, especially in lever actions such as the Savage M99, the Win M88, or the Browning BLR.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Marlin 336 in 35 Rem it has a fixed 2x scope. been looking to add a new scope to it, any recomendations? var 2X to 4X maybe?

Thanks

I have a 3x9x40 on mine and love it.Don't need that much magnification but I already had the scope.It's a Bushnell Banner with a red dot in center of crosshairs.I love this gun and I am glad Wayne Co. went to rifle.

I have a marlin 336 in .35 rem I had a Bushnell trophy 3-9x scope that I put on it after the pawn shop sold my Simmons fixed 4x i had.(with out my permission btw !) It doesnt need a variable scope but it works very well with it. I use the Hornady Leverevolution rounds with it, taken 4 bucks and a 250 lb. bear with it. Bear only ran 30 yards  Frontal shot broke the shoulder and left a nice hole on exiting just behind the front leg. I wouldn't trade my Marlin for anything. I'd rather have the.35 over the .30-30 anyday. Great brush/woods gun.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've got a Marlin 30-30 that I picked up around 1980 that still shoots great and has killed quite a few deer. These days I usually hunt with a 30-06 Bolt when I hunt in a Rifle zone but after looking at all of these terrific rifles I'm thinking I'll break out my old 30-30 again this year!

• 1 month later...

The 30-30 is still racking up plenty of kills. My marlin put another down last week.

It is just one of the best feeling guns in my hands!

Started with my dads 35 more than 30 years ago up in the Dacks. About 15 years ago I picked up my 30-30 from a buddies dad who was done hunting.

I hardly saw anyone up there hunt with anything else back then.

I picked up a Marlin 336 in .35 Rem a few years ago at an estate sale. Probably paid a little more than what it was worth but I spoke to me. Already had a Williams peep sight on it (I personally think scopes look out on place on top of a lever action, practical as they may be). Checking the serial numbers confirmed it was made in 1954 and it showed signs of lots of honest use. Loaded with Hornady Lever evolution handloads it prints neat little groups. So far I have killed 3 does with it including one this past Sundays. God only knows how many deer it has killed over its 60 years but I am proud to have it back in the deer woods where it belongs.

• Like 1

Why on earth would you want a higher power scope than a 2X on a .35 Rem ?

Simple answer. SO YOU CAN COUNT THE ANTLER POINTS. Antler restrictions !!! I just brought a x18 scope. I can look, count, and pull the trigger, one motion.

Last year, I lost a buck because I couldn't see the points !!  Still upset I didn't shoot him.

Edited by Short Track Hunter

Simple answer. SO YOU CAN COUNT THE ANTLER POINTS. Antler restrictions !!! I just brought a x18 scope. I can look, count, and pull the trigger, one motion.

Last year, I lost a buck because I couldn't see the points !!  Still upset I didn't shoot him.

Binocs are a better solution to that problem.  If you get a nice buck in close before you see it and your scope is on a high power, you may not even find it in the scope in the second or two the deer gives you before it runs.

Edited by Mr VJP

Binocs are a better solution to that problem.  If you get a nice buck in close before you see it and your scope is on a high power, you may not even find it in the scope in the second or two the deer gives you before it runs.

I tried that route.  Too heavy, & another thing to carry.   Now I keep the scope on low power, and zoom in once I have him in the cross hairs.