Lever Actions

eagle rider

• 1 month later...

Just bought a Henry 45-70. Yet to shoot it. Nice looking rifles posted here.

Let me know how the Henry shoots.. I really like the rifle, except I am not too crazy about the way it is loaded...Seems like a regular side loading gate would be more convenient than the rimfire type loading port on the magazine tube.

• Like 1

Big fan of my lever guns, especially my 444S. Been shooting a handloaded Hornady 265gr. FP exclusively for more than thirty years. The only knock I have with the Marlin is it's pencil-thin buttstock and drop. Felt recoil would be less if they fitted it with a decent buttstock. I don't notice the recoil afield with heavy loads but when practicing in the summer I do. I worked up some 240 gr. lead loads @ around 1,100 FPS that shoot to POA @ 25 yds.

utf-8BL0RldmljZSBNZW1vcnkvaG9tZS-47.jpg

My BLR in .257 Roberts has taken a shine to 117 gr. -120 gr. bulletweights. I have yet to work up a lightweight bullet weight for varmints. I'll get around to it hopefully this summer. This gun and cartridge is a delight to shoot.

BLR81_zps2ef9e3a5.jpg

A pre-war Savage 99R in .300 Savage. This only takes trips to the range but it's suprisingly accurate. Classic design and lines. It's a shame these are not popular now. And their prices only escalate.

utf-8BL0RldmljZSBNZW1vcnkvaG9tZS-20.jpg

• Like 3

Bottom ones a Mossberg SPX 30/30 fun to shoot wasn't my thing for deer hunting (one bad experience ruined it) others a high point.....sold both when I got my permit to invest in more useful others....

attachicon.gifIMG_797976765259413.jpeg

what issues did you have with the SPX? i was thinking of getting the 464 but in the non-tactical version.

• Like 1

what issues did you have with the SPX? i was thinking of getting the 464 but in the non-tactical version.

I actually had issues with the round not gun....my dad has non tactical model both his and mine shot awsome really nice for the money....but I had a 3030 lever revolution round (don't remember grain) have a complete pass thru without expanding right thru the sweet spot deer did go down after few hundred yards but left little for a blood trail...was not impressed so no longer have or hunt with a 3030

The LeverEvolution rounds have been known to do that on occasion.  But that is a failure of the round, not the rifle.  I've never heard of an issue with a .30-30 using a good soft point bullet in 150 or 170 grain weight.  Even the inexpensive Core Lokt from Remington seems to perform very well on deer.

The LeverEvolution rounds have been known to do that on occasion. But that is a failure of the round, not the rifle. I've never heard of an issue with a .30-30 using a good soft point bullet in 150 or 170 grain weight. Even the inexpensive Core Lokt from Remington seems to perform very well on deer.

I was Surprised as well only ever heard good things about the caliber and round. But the range of the 3030 I mite as well stick with my 12g ik that knocks them down.

A good friend of mine has a pre 64 Win  M94 carbine in .32 Special that he would like to sell.

The rifle is in good condition, but has been reduced in collector value because it has been drilled/tapped for a reciever sight.

It would make a good shooter for someone who wants a quality older firearm to hunt with. The price he is asking  is very good considering the quality of the firearm.

If anyone is interested, PM me and I can put you in touch with the seller.

I had a Marlin 30-30 and loved carrying it. It was slim, light, and fast handling. However, I once tracked an 8 point down and when I went to shoot him as he stood up in his bed, the safety was on. I always kept it off and used the hammer as the safety, but somehow it got pushed while I was carrying it. I did end up getting the buck after several seconds of struggling with trying to find out what was going on with the gun. Got lucky that his chosen path of travel allowed a shot. I sold it after that. Last thing I want is to worry about 2 safeties.

• 6 months later...

My first was a Winchester 94 30-30 I purchased the year before they went to rebounding hammers/angle eject.  Unfortunately I let a "buddy" convince me to sell it cheap and it had never been fired.  Really regret that and am looking to replace it.

I also have a pair of Winchester 1895's.  A 30-06 take down that shoots well but may have a headspace problem as the brass is difficult to extract after a few firings and a 38-72 flatside that has the bore pretty much shot out, going to try Hawk bullets as they are supposed to work well in worn bores.

I have a puma/rossi 92 stainless 16" barrel in 454 casull that is fantastic except for being too shiny!!!

Got a Turnbull 1886 in 475 turnbull on order, a custom job that just got away from me with all the options!! Like wanting a small shed and winding up with a 3 car garage, Ha!

Now I'm interested in a Browning Model 78 single shot in 30-06 or 6mm, does that count as a lever action??

Got to love lever guns.

Oh yeah, just remembered, I am wondering about the possibility of getting and rebarrelling a Savage 99 from 308 to 338 federal, how great would that work in the woods!

Edited by Jaeger

I got a few myself.

A 2009 marlin 336W with a burris scope and burris rings and base.  It's a little tackdriver with 150gr cor-lokts.

A 1967 glenfield model 30.  A 4 shot model with lyman 66 peep sight.  Feels like your handling a 22 when walking in the woods all day.

And there's the 6lb cannon.   A browning BLR lightweight stainless in 450 marlin.  I shoot 325 flex-tips through it.  It has a 1.5-4.5x32 bushnell elite 3200 scope.  It's a hammer, but it's perfect for small lot hunting where if the deer wander too far you can't recover them on neighbors land.  My only broadside DRT shot was from this guy.  It makes soda can sized exit holes.

I had a bad shot go real well with this gun.  I was shooting a ton of NRA shilouettes the previous summer.  I got startled on a deer and reacted like I had all summer long, shoot it right in the middle. Went right in the gut.  However, the shock pressure was so high, it split to lower belly crease right in half and all the internal fell right out the bottom.  The deer went about 70 yards with a clear as day blood trail.  I got real lucky that day.

post-3087-0-14115900-1439639100_thumb.jp

post-3087-0-56034600-1439639121_thumb.jp

Edited by sailinghudson25

I've hunted small game for most of my life using an air rifle.  Earlier this year I decided this would be my first year hunting larger game, probably just deer and maybe coyotes.  I went out and purchased a Browning BLR in 270 WSM.  It is one of the most beautiful rifles I have ever seen.  I haven't fired it yet and I am so looking forward to it.  I ordered a Skinner peep sight and my plan, at least for this first season, is to hunt with the open sights.  Unless of course when I sight it in I can't get a tight enough group at 100 yards.  It probably won't matter since I plan to attach a bipod to it.  Needless to say I am anxiously waiting for hunting season to open.

post-3487-0-33714300-1439645573_thumb.jp

post-3487-0-58634500-1439645578_thumb.jp

• Like 1