Warmest hunt clothes ??

luberhill

31 minutes ago, luberhill said:

I have Arctic Shield jacket and bibs

I also layer but still get cold …

Lots out there on this topic.  This is the short of it.  Down is warmest, next is wool, and then 3M Thinsulate.  Need to layer correctly.  Base for wicking moisture (sweat), then loft for warmth/heat retention, followed by barrier for wind/rain protection.  Many folks are having good results with electric heated vests.  Most heat is lost from head and neck area so do not forget to cover them up too.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DoubleDose said:

Lots out there on this topic.  This is the short of it.  Down is warmest, next is wool, and then 3M Thinsulate.  Need to layer correctly.  Base for wicking moisture (sweat), then loft for warmth/heat retention, followed by barrier for wind/rain protection.  Many folks are having good results with electric heated vests.  Most heat is lost from head and neck area so do not forget to cover them up too.

Best boots for warmth in your humble opinion?

34 minutes ago, DoubleDose said:

When I get really cold ill put a hot hands on top of my head under my hat . 

• Like 2

Not hunting gear but the warmest jacket I own is a fishing  jacket  with primaloft insulation . I dont wear it stealhead  fishing unless the temp goes below 20. Wish I could afford  the browning hells canyon  suit made with primaloft. When my son was stationed in Korea he had suit made for me. Had a tailor measure me and and sent the numbers to the son.   Its warm but heavy  as hell. Parka/vest/bibs. Cost more to ship it home than it cost to have it made . As I recall  it was 70 bucks to have it made.

The warmest cold weather gear I have is a set of Refridgiwear coveralls, the mainstay of the folks who work up in the artic. I wear them all winter long here on the farm doing chores, I can tell you I am never cold with those things on even in sub zero temps.

Not my cup of tea for hunting clothes as they are very heavy and bulky, movement can be cumbersome, they would probably work for someone that sits all day.

Stay away from anything made of cotton.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

Avoid cotton anything like the plague. I have a big mix ,most of it pot luck. I like my Bass Pro cold weather long johns as a base, heavy marino socks. I have a couple of fleece sweat pants and shirts worn next, and a pair of heavy stretch fleece next for pants, with my goretex bib over. A heavy fleece sweater on top. I dearly love my Woolrich parka, but if it is really wet/windy, I have a goretex parka on top. Pain in the but when I have to pee.....

boots, the best I ever had was a pair of 2000 ml/wt or whatever rubber packs for warmth, but be sure to change your socks frequently...even wool gets damp from moisture, and that is what cools you. When we dip around 20 degrees or lower, I put toe warmers in, a larger disposable warmer or two in my chest pockets, and a third in a handwarmer muff. Dont forget the head...I am partial to the Stormy Kromer (sic?) hats with a balaclava over, tucked into my parka and over the head with the hat on still. 

Stoke the furnace before you go out....big breakfast to feed the fire.

10 hours ago, Northcountryman said:

Best boots for warmth in your humble opinion?

Most folks feet get cold for 2 reasons.  First, poor circulation (boots too tight), and second wet feet (either from sweating or external soaking).  The principles above hold true for feet too.  A wicking sock (nylon dress socks work), an insulating sock (wool), and insulated (3M thinsulate) waterproof breathable (leather or Goretex) boots (not rubber).   The boots should be loose enough to freely wiggle your toes but not allow your whole foot to slide up and down when walking.  Electric heated socks, if needed.  Importantly, know your foot size and try on boots with the socks as you intend to wear them.  Buy based on the fit not the size marked on the shoe or box.  If you have a wide foot you need wide boots, not the next half-size up.

Appreciate everyone's tolerance for the cold is different based on conditions and our own physiology.  You need to dress for what works for you and the activity.

• Like 1

This is something I have been dealing with for 2 years. How to stay warm ..... I'm not built thick, 5' 11"s and 165lbs. I finally figured out my system to stay warm.

Gear Used

First Layer - Under Armor Compression Shirt to wick away sweat

Second Layer - First Lite Kiln 250

Third Layer - First Lite Furnace 350

Fourth Layer - Arris Heated Vest w/ spare battery (good for about 10ish hours on medium)

Fifth Layer - First Lite Sanctuary 2.0

Head - First Lite Tundra Cold Weather Balaclava and First Lite Furnace 350 Beanie

Bottom

First Layer - Under Armor Compression Bottom to wick away sweat

Fourth Layer - First Lite Sanctuary 2.0

Boots - Lacrosse Alphaburly Pro 1600

There is a system to it. On the hike in I wear only the compression and kiln combo until I get to my stand or blind. All my other layers I pack in. From there I change my socks to warmer thicker socks, I then cool off, like seriously get cold. Once I feel the cold setting in and I'm as dry as possible I completely layer up. Once layered I turn on the heated vest to high, as soon as I feel feel warmth flooding into my chest I lower the vest to medium/low depending on the outside temp.

This routine may sound like a lot but im very very warm in 20* weather. No more getting chills and having to sit there dealing with the shivers. Also, First Lite runs 40% off sales all the time. I would never purchase their gear at full price as these sales are pretty prevalent, their gear is also wind proof.

Another layering item is a good quality wool sweater, I have a couple of the Cabelas with the windshear lining, one is 80% wool the other is 100%. I completed most of my chores this morning wearing a thin poly T, a heavy weight military poly long sleeve under shirt and a Cabelas heavy sweater with the windshear lining. When is gets colder I have a heavy nylon windbreaker jacket that I can wear over the above.

Al

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

Sitka gear with a heated vest just in case it’s needed. Heated socks are a must. Worse part about me. Feet freeze out quick sitting 

I haven’t had trouble with cold feet, since I started wearing the goofy looking army surplus’s Mickey Mouse boots that my father in law gave me, as a Christmas present, about 20 years ago.  

The only time they failed me was after I soaked one in a ditch, about my third time across, to retrieve a December doe carcass from the other side.  Normally, if the laces are tight, you can make s a quick step into deep water with them and still come out pretty dry and warm.  

My father in law sprr E my most of his time working in a cold concrete fairy barn floor and he swears by those boots. The black ones are plenty warm for me.  He has a few pairs of the white ones which are supposedly good when it’s even colder. 

My only trouble with the Micky’s is that they are a little too big to fit the foot holder of my crossbow.

Sitka Fantatic bibs and jacket.

Base layer- under armour 3.0 bottoms

I have thin kuiu merino bottoms that ill put on also if its really cold

Top base- sitka merino quarter zip

Kuiu peloton 200 hoody over the sitka

I almost never wear the jacket walking in, and have the bibs side zip opened up to vent also.

If you had a long walk in id probably pack it in and dress at the tree.

The heated socks and foot warmers don't help me at all . I have Neuropathy . My feet aren't physically cold but the nerves tell me they feel like they are freezing . 

As for upper body , I have insulated bibs , a Milwaukee heated hoodie and a Milwaukee heated camo jacket . 

7 hours ago, heavuser said:

This is something I have been dealing with for 2 years. How to stay warm ..... I'm not built thick, 5' 11"s and 165lbs. I finally figured out my system to stay warm.

Gear Used

First Layer - Under Armor Compression Shirt to wick away sweat

Fourth Layer - Arris Heated Vest w/ spare battery (good for about 10ish hours on medium)

Fifth Layer - First Lite Sanctuary 2.0

Head - First Lite Tundra Cold Weather Balaclava and First Lite Furnace 350 Beanie

Bottom

First Layer - Under Armor Compression Bottom to wick away sweat

Fourth Layer - First Lite Sanctuary 2.0

Boots - Lacrosse Alphaburly Pro 1600

There is a system to it. On the hike in I wear only the compression and kiln combo until I get to my stand or blind. All my other layers I pack in. From there I change my socks to warmer thicker socks, I then cool off, like seriously get cold. Once I feel the cold setting in and I'm as dry as possible I completely layer up. Once layered I turn on the heated vest to high, as soon as I feel feel warmth flooding into my chest I lower the vest to medium/low depending on the outside temp.

This routine may sound like a lot but im very very warm in 20* weather. No more getting chills and having to sit there dealing with the shivers. Also, First Lite runs 40% off sales all the time. I would never purchase their gear at full price as these sales are pretty prevalent, their gear is also wind proof.

If you put the vest under your insulating layers you'll stay warmer.