What age classes.....

growalot

Our neighboring landowner(non hunter) let us post his 80 acres last summer because we were getting tresspassers coming from his land. That is letting the deer feel more comfortable coming in to the 2 acre food plot. We see all age groups from spikes to wide racked 10+. Even a TALL shooter 6

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

To size up a buck(s) you've been seeing during the summer months in hopes of a fall encounter is pretty optimistic, IMHO. I'm sizing up the does for my freezer. If a nice buck happens to appear, either one I'd gotten photos of or one coming out of no where, all the better! Last year I really hunted hard for 4X great bucks I'd been getting summertime photos of. Saw one, only once...ended up being a fairly frustrating year hunting for what I expected to be around!

Most of the time, you would swear there is not a mature buck on the place. But then there are those occasional trailcam pics that show otherwise. So, I have no way of assessing the age classes in my hunting area with any real credibility. Also, there are those phantom bucks that just show up out of nowhere. Have they been there all along, or are they just passing through? And then there is that monster rub that belongs to a deer you've never seen. The valley where I hunt is a huge area of unbroken woods and hills. Who knows what all lives there....lol.

LOl It was a general question....Every buck I have EVER shot was one I'd never seen before ...but I do see buck through out the summer..either on us or nearby lands...some years it's a lot of spikes and fork horns...some 5 and 6pts. and few big ones...other years it's the opposite...

I suppose that is what I was looking to see, whether there are lots of up comers.. more older or a good mix being seen...

PS...Cheif looks like you have a good mix of buck...seeing many buck fawns? This year we have lots of fawn but not seeing to many buttons

Edited by growalot

So far on the only farm that I've scouted, I gotten pics of:

1 - 5 yr old buck

3 - 3 yr olds

7 - 2 yr olds

6 - yearlings

I've seen at least 6-7 more 2 to 3 year olds on the other end of the farm that I don't pay much attention to...

Edited by WNY Bowhunter

We're tracking slower than last year in numbers, size, and quality.

A fair amount of YOY and 1 y/o

A pair of two year olds

Looks like one three year old

A couple where the pics just don't let me age, but would put them 3 or up.

LOl It was a general question....Every buck I have EVER shot was one I'd never seen before ...but I do see buck through out the summer..either on us or nearby lands...some years it's a lot of spikes and fork horns...some 5 and 6pts. and few big ones...other years it's the opposite...

I suppose that is what I was looking to see, whether there are lots of up comers.. more older or a good mix being seen...

PS...Cheif looks like you have a good mix of buck...seeing many buck fawns? This year we have lots of fawn but not seeing to many buttons

We usually have a good mix here. I don't typically get all of the bucks on cam but see them in the evenings out in the fields. I have some new pics I need to upload. I've seen 3 fawn bucks (that I can tell) out in the fields with the does. We actually have one that wanders into the yard a couple times a week.

• 2 weeks later...

Im seeing a good mix. Bunch of yearlings, 5 or 6 good 2 year olds, 5 3 year olds and a few 4+ year olds. Still waiting to catch a pic or glimpse of the old man of the property, which would be 7 or 8 this year if he made it through winter. I know he made it through deer season last year, but havent seen him since.

I have no idea how to guess a deer's age from photos, but as far as antlers I have my own system: I've been consistently seeing one large, two medium, and a half dozen small. (ish)

Whatever I end up shooting is guaranteed to be something I haven't seen before, but it's fun to look at the pics.

One spot on LI has a report of a large 8 and a monster something?  I believe it when I see it.  My buddy Mike sent me some trail cam photo's from North of Roscoe.  I asked if he has room for me!!!  WOW a couple of nice deer and another with great potential for next year or two.  I would pass the little guy but his buddy behind him is another story.  10 pt on left is just a beauty!  Hope he gets one this year!   

post-1186-0-17503200-1409276499_thumb.pn

post-1186-0-95392600-1409276514_thumb.jp