Site Suggestions & Comments

John -

As a sales manager for a flexible packaging company I used to tell our production manager, “Don’t tell me why it can’t be done, tell me how it can be.” 

What would that be called?      Call it anything you have a mind to. FIND-A-BUD, HOOKUPS, LOOKING FOR MY NEXT OUTDOORS LIFE-LONG FRIEND, WANTED: HUNTING AND FISHING BUDDIES, or simply ANYBODY WANT TO GET OUT? Bass Pro had a forum called FIND A FRIEND. My personal choice would be CONNECTIONS. 

And how do you organize it?      Well it would help it members knew where other members reside. I don’t think I am the only one here who checks the Introductions section to see if a new member lives in my part of the state. That’s a start. One suggestion is to let those who want to, post and others who want to, reply. I mean we certainly don’t want anyone forced into making a new friend or two now, do we? I once belonged to a now closed fishing site that even hosted a picnic for members to meet and get to place a face with a user name. Everybody was encouraged to bring their families, their own meat, and a dish to pass. Anyone bringing a grill to cook on also brought charcoal and that was their dish to pass. It worked out well. We had it at a pond so members could fish. It was held up here in the Rochester area and members came from all over, one from down on the PA border. We became closer and more chatting was done on the board. Maybe it could be organized by (a like D.E.C.) regional areas yet would be open to those outside the region who wants to post or reply. In time regional members may also choose to meet. I made some close friends because of that site. One is a member here too. He happens to be a deputy sheriff who gets his days off in the middle of the week sometimes. Everybody else he fishes with is at work so he calls me because I am retired. Another very close friend just died last month. He took Fridays off during the summer to fish and we would get out often. Still another I have fished with is now interested in expanding his outdoor adventures to include deer hunting. I will let him use some of my extra equipment so he might see if hunting is something he wants to do regularly. That’s what friends do. 

The problem also is that NY is a big state.      Yes, NY is a big state. So? As I stated earlier….. Some of us don't have a problem with and actually enjoy driving a little bit to fish a new body of water and if we can meet a new buddy in the process, that's a bonus. Last September I drove alone and back from Rochester NY to Bingham ME to fish and hunt black bear on a donated guided hunt for disabled sportsmen. Where there’s a will, there’s a way. The B&B, meals, and guide services were all free. All I paid for was my transportation costs and license fees. I never did harvest a bear but made a friend. The owner invited me up (although I couldn’t attend) this past spring for a turkey hunt/fishing week and again for this fall’s black bear season. I am a personable human being, a sportsman, and a man with physical limitations in that order. I like to think his invitations are due mostly because of my personality and less because he just wants to do a nice thing for “the crippled guy.” In a nutshell, those who want to participate will and those who don’t, won’t.

I'd like to see a section where one or more members can team up for a fishing or hunting adventure.  I subscribed to a site that had one and made a couple of new friends.  Some of us don't have a problem with and actually enjoy driving a little bit to fish a new body of water and if we can meet a new buddy in the process, that's a bonus.  Maybe too some of us could get together to establish a band of hunters to start an annual deer camp.  Traditions have to start somewhere.  Why not here?

Rob

I can click on your Site Name and see that you are from Rochester . If members would update their Profiles to state that they are from Avoca , Utica , etc instead of the SouthernTier or Central , NY or UPSTATE NY , we would know where folks are from ......but that would be too easy !

• 2 weeks later...

What I would like to see would be a link posted whereby any of us could contact someone from the DEC directly to voice our opinions and concerns instead of using  a general mail box. Replies could be posted on a separate forum on this site.

I second Bill's notion, one of the CT hunting forums has just that and it is awesome, DEC cop guy stops by every now and then and answers all questions, it helps tremendously, I know few guys at DEC I will reach out to them and see if they are willing to participate. Setting like that works extremely well, these guys are in the field all day and they can tell us things like:"...yeah, I would arrest you for that..." LOL or maybe "...if you kill a yote out of season we will not give you grief..." un-officially of course...

Good idea Bill

I second Bill's notion, one of the CT hunting forums has just that and it is awesome, DEC cop guy stops by every now and then and answers all questions, it helps tremendously, I know few guys at DEC I will reach out to them and see if they are willing to participate. Setting like that works extremely well, these guys are in the field all day and they can tell us things like:"...yeah, I would arrest you for that..." LOL or maybe "...if you kill a yote out of season we will not give you grief..." un-officially of course...

Good idea Bill

That would be neat if they would do that.

Going back to the previous page about hunter gatherings/members getting together to hunt, the old forum had a "find a hunt/find a hunter" section where people could list lease or camp openings, trip openings or just find say someone that might be looking for a hunting partner in a certain area and things like that.  Might be nice instead of posting in a more specific forum and hoping someone reads it and replies.  If it's in it's own forum it might be easier for members to coordinate.  Just a thought.

Make it so that when you reply , instead of having to remove the "notify me of replies" by clicking the box to cancel that the box be blank and would have to be clicked to get the nofification . I wonder how many care about the notification . I often forget and have a few email deletes to do .

A couple threads just flat out disappeared Sunday afternoon.

Does anyone know what happened and/or why?

Have not been aware of this here on the new forum.

Thanks

Steve

I noticed that one of the threads is missing. In fact it was one that I put a rather lengthy reply on the other day, and I noticed that not only was my reply gone, but the whole thread had disappeared. It was one of the crossbow threads. That's the only one that I have noticed was missing. I assumed that it was some kind of glitch or that someone had posted something there that caused the topic to be removed.

Doc