Site Suggestions & Comments

I don't see this site as a good spot for that, if you want hunting dog forums, seek them out. This site is more suited for Deer hunting.

That can be said about anything posted on the site. Like if u want an anti muslim jihadi watch forum you should go seek it out.

But hunting dogs are at least related to hunting. There are some good hunting forums out there. But not regional like a ny based forum.

• Like 2

That can be said about anything posted on the site. Like if u want an anti muslim jihadi watch forum you should go seek it out.

But hunting dogs are at least related to hunting. There are some good hunting forums out there. But not regional like a ny based forum.

There just isn't a whole lot of depth on this forum surrounding gun dogs. Realistically how many of us do you think post here? Maybe 6 I can think of, I mean if you guys want to go on about specifics I'm here but I'm not sure if its worth it with all of the detractors that crap on every thread. 

"There just isn't a whole lot of depth on this forum surrounding gun dogs". Realistically how many of us do you think post here? Maybe 6 I can think of, I mean if you guys want to go on about specifics I'm here but I'm not sure if its worth it with all of the detractors that crap on every thread. 

How do you know that? My pet peeve when it comes to hunting is the people who hunt deer think it trumps all other types of hunting and the heck with everyone else. Small game hunting and small game hunting with dogs should be promoted instead of shoving it under the rug. It is the very best way to get new hunters into the sport because of the action it can provide. Small game hunting in the last 30 years has gone right down the toilet as far as participation goes and a big part of the problem is small game hunters especially those that hunt with dogs are being crowded out of the woods by deer seasons from September to January.

Last time I looked the name of this board is Hunting NY and to my way of thinking that mean all types of hunting including hunting with dogs and not only gun dogs. Hounds and Terriers can make for a lot of fun in the game fields.  I have and do participate in all types of hunting but personally hunting with dogs my is my favorite kind of hunting and would welcome a section for those who hunt with dogs.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

I don't think it'd have to be a "gun dog" section.  it could be a hunting dog section.  waterfowl retrieval the dog isn't flushing something for you.  also there's a growing interest in training your dog to find/hunt shed antlers.  others have used dogs to break up fall turkey flocks and then get setup and call a bird in.  I'm sure there are others.  I don't even have a dog.  I think it's warranted to have a sub-forum to post threads related to anything that is hunting dog related.

on the yote hunting with dogs note it's very popular around here.  despite the season overlaps with deer season all who run them have the understanding that last day of deer season they can bring out the dogs.  control of coyotes is a very important part of deer hunting and management.  they'll beat down your fawn recruitment numbers something fierce.  compared to hunting by calling, using dogs, seems far more productive around here.  properties are small and the yotes just might not be there.  those who run dogs will get permission from all the landowners of a block then have at it.  a tangent though and should be a thread in a hunting dog forum.

I don't think it'd have to be a "gun dog" section.  it could be a hunting dog section.  waterfowl retrieval the dog isn't flushing something for you.  also there's a growing interest in training your dog to find/hunt shed antlers.  others have used dogs to break up fall turkey flocks and then get setup and call a bird in.  I'm sure there are others.  I don't even have a dog.  I think it's warranted to have a sub-forum to post threads related to anything that is hunting dog related.

Gun Dog encompasses all forms of dog used for all forms of hunting. Semantics I know.

"Gun Dog encompasses all forms of dog used for all forms of hunting. Semantics I know."

The term "Gun Dog" does not encompass all forms of hunting with dogs! Gun dogs are dogs used for bird hunting, Pointers, Setters, Spaniels and Retrievers. I suppose a Hound or Terrier may on rare occasions be used for some type of bird hunting but for the most part they fall under a completely different category of hunting dog and are used  and hunted much differently, Animals such as Varmints, Rabbits, Squirrels, Coon, Possums, Fox and Coyotes.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 3

Definition of gundog

1. :  a dog trained to work with hunters by locating and retrieving game

gun dog
n.
A dog trained or bred to assist hunters, as in flushing or retrieving game.

noun

a dog trained to help a hunter, as by pointing or retrieving game

As I said, any dog any game. If you are hunting as a team, you have yourself a gun dog. IMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frankly, I don't give a damn whether a "hunting dog" section is added or not. It doesn't affect me in even the smallest way. It's not my thing, but I do know that a lot of hunters are into it. It is a legitimate part of hunting whether I or others participate or not, so why not have a section on hunting with dogs? There are a lot of sections here that I do not access, but then the site isn't just for me either.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/1/2016 at 11:34 AM, grampy said:

I sent payment for a support membership on April 11th. Still have not received conformation of payment or the support membership, after PM's and e-mails being sent.  ??????

Still haven't heard anything. I have the receipt from the money order I sent. Any help from admin would be appreciated. Been almost four months. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, grampy said:

Still haven't heard anything. I have the receipt from the money order I sent. Any help from admin would be appreciated. Been almost four months. 

1000%. My fault its sitting on my desk still.  I'll fix shortly.  Thanks and sorry. 

• Like 2

Great work. Love it. Only isue is that when i open a thread I have been fallowing I cant go straight to last page. Have to open to page one then jump to where I left off. Use to be able to select which page I wanted to start with. Not a big deal by any means just something I miss I guess. Thanks for all the work you put into this just so the rest of us have a place to go and complain and argue.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2016 at 9:08 AM, GreeneHunter said:

When I access this site using Firefox I get pop-ups , when I use Internet Explorer I get no Pop-Ups because I turn them off in my IE Setup ! Is there an option in Firefox that I cannot find to turn off Pop-ups ?

when you open the site. you should get a drop box that gives you the option to always receive or always block adds. I use firefox and got that box yesterday. Clicked block and no more popups. However I keep getting warning that my connection is not secure. I don't think firefox likes the upgrade. whenever on site it runs slow pauses and freezes at times. Along with the not secure warning. When Exit this site it runs fine. I believe it is a firefox thing not the site itself.

Starting last night and continuing tonight, A couple times now I'd hit the "submit" button and it'd say "saving post" or something to that effect and then it would go back to the "reply" button.  I tried it three or four times and got no love.

I did a "copy" of what I wanted to post then opened a new window and submitted it all over again.

Troubling but so is being over weight.  :rolleyes:

10 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Starting last night and continuing tonight, A couple times now I'd hit the "submit" button and it'd say "saving post" or something to that effect and then it would go back to the "reply" button.  I tried it three or four times and got no love.

I did a "copy" of what I wanted to post then opened a new window and submitted it all over again.

Troubling but so is being over weight.  :rolleyes:

checking into these issues. 

• Like 2

Every time Tapatalk refreshes, all the threads appear unread even if I had just read them.  Makes it almost impossible to get to the threads on the bottom of the list.  Every time I open Tapatalk, I have over 60+ unread threads.

Every time Tapatalk refreshes, all the threads appear unread even if I had just read them.  Makes it almost impossible to get to the threads on the bottom of the list.  Every time I open Tapatalk, I have over 60+ unread threads.

Is your Tapatalk up to date I had to update mine last night

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk