$1000 Muzzleloader

UpstateNomad90

I think any muzzle loader bought today can shoot 300 yards, you don't need to shell out big bucks for it. Just practice and more practice.

Also don't shoot smoke less out of any muzzloader unless it is intended to do so.

Bubba, I'm pretty sure Remington s ignition is intended to burn all the pellets, they copied the Keith Johnson ultimate design. I'm sure maybe a little powder can be seen in the snow at times with loose powder, maybe I'm wrong.

Hankens makes a sweet ml if your looking to blow some bucks.

http://www.hankinscustomrifles.com/rifles.html

Wow. 4k$ !?! I mean really ? Even 1k for the rem, rediculous ! I don't think I would ever spend that kind of scratch on a ml, even if I had it ! I thought my 600$ t/c was expensive ! Guess I'm pretty happy doing 2" groups at 150yrds !!!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Smokeless Powder Muzzle Loader...

HANKINS SPML-45. Scroll down....

Again please don't shoot smokeless in anything that is not intended for it.

Again, this M700 IS NOT a muzzleloader. It uses centerfire cartridge cases in the breech & they will seal exactly the same way as any centerfire cartridge case does.  The yield pressure for bras is 70,000 PSI so any load that doesn't approach that threshold too closely will not do any damage to the weapon or the shooter.

It is a centerfire rifle that is loaded from the muzzle. If you don't understand how centerfire cartridges work, quit trying to post about something you know little about.

Go back and read all your posts, that's a pretty bold statement to say to someone you know nothing about.

As stated before, to you and anyone else, please don't shoot smokeless out of any muzzloader that isn't intended for it.

As for your other comment about taking your 54 against any inline, another very bold statement. My white will clover leaf anything that goes down the barrel. So if I use a 336 ignition in my thunderbolt is it a muzzloader??!!

Also please call Jeff and tell him it's not a muzzloader, please let me know what he says.

Sorry to the original post for getting off topic.

Steve

• Like 3

As for your other comment about taking your 54 against any inline, another very bold statement. My white will clover leaf anything that goes down the barrel. So if I use a 336 ignition in my thunderbolt is it a muzzloader??!!

If your wife can do that with iron sights, patched round ball or full bore sized conical & loose powder then lets have at it. If you read (and understood) my statement, those were the conditions.

If her rifle isn't so equipped, please make the changes & I will meet you at a range midway between us. I will put $100 on the line

8" gong at 100 yards. Loading from the bag or pocket, 5 shots offhand. Once either shooter gets off the 5th shot firing ceases & we see who had the most hits on the gong.

As far as me not knowing you, that has nothing to do with center fire cartridge case design so that has absolutely no bearing on my statements.

LMAO how did my wife get the mention, she would be flattered but doesn't shoot. You didn't answer my question about if my white has the 336 ignition is it a muzzloader. If not familiar with the 336 primer breech plug it uses a short brass reloadable case for small pistol primer .

Edited by sbuff
  • Like 1

LMAO how did my wife get the mention, she would be flattered but doesn't shoot. You didn't answer my question about if my white has the 336 ignition is it a muzzloader.

Sorry I misread white for wife.

The challenge still stands. iron sights. patched round ball or bore sized conical & lose powder.

100yds offhand 8" gong 1st shooter that gets off 5 shots ends firing for both. Shooter with the most hits on the gong wins.

I can hold 5 shots in 4" offhand at 100 yds  1/2 of that off the bench. That is with open iron sights.

Well I said I was done as we'll agree to disagree, but my question of if my white not my wife has its 336 primer in it, is it not a muzzloader??

Bubba, good to hear from ya.

Steve

When the Muzzle loader in question uses a center fire cartridge case in the breech, IMO, that crosses the line.

If you think about it, one could make up a paper cartridge, insert in into the breech after tearing the end off, then chamber the case head/primer behind it. That is similar to how the 1st Sharps breech loaders were designed. The breech block sheered off the back of the paper cartridge & a percussion cap was used to ignite the powder.

By definition, some states, in Indiana at least, a beech loading rifle that is loaded from the muzzle is a legal weapon in muzzle loader seasons. That is basically what the Remington we are discussing here is.

I wonder how much Remington wants for those cases with the primers? They look like they might be hard to de-cap so that might not even be an option.

You guys make this sound like new technology. There have been places making breechplugs like this for a while. I had one for my encore and my huntsman that used 25 acp brass. The key word was had. They honestly did not work that well. Just a fad to sell you a 1000 dollar gun

Are those primed cases a standard size, like a 45 Colt or something that can be easily found or reloaded, or is it some Remington only case?

I think Remington gives you a dozen or so with the rifle and thats it. 

If you look at the cross section in the advertisement, the plug has a long narrow flash channel presumably to increase the velocity of the hot primer gasses thereby enabling the ignition of the 4th pellet. The "cases" arent hust a hollow cup holding the primer.

If you are going to go that route just get a 45/70 barrel for an encore & load it from the muzzle.

Buy what you can afford and shoot a lot till you know the gun well. I have seen cheap guns that were as accurate as expensive ones. Just kick like mules because their light.

I couldn't agree more. This is the philosophy my hunting buddy had for me when I started using a M/loader two yrs. ago. He's hunted with one for yrs. I bought a T/C Impact at a real fair price and put a good scope on it ..... worked on the load and spent a decent amount of time on the bench/rest getting confident with it. I've killed two deer with it.

I cast my own lead round balls & cut my own patches W/a gasket punch. My only significant cost when shooting a flintlock is the powder & real black powder is significantly less expensive than "substitutes".

Back when I was shooting regularly in competition in the 1880s I went through 260# of (free) lead roof flashing in one year. 99% of that was offhand so I knew my weapon well. With a rest, I could nail a 12 oz beverage can at 100 yds at near 100%.

Edited by wildcat junkie

I cast my own lead round balls & cut my own patches W/a gasket punch. My only significant cost when shooting a flintlock is the powder & real black powder is significantly less expensive than "substitutes".

Back when I was shooting regularly in competition in the 1980s I went through 260# of (free) lead roof flashing in one year. 99% of that was offhand so I knew my weapon well. With a rest, I could nail a 12 oz beverage can at 100 yds at near 100%.

Oops didn't catch the typo until it was too late to edit.

I have the Remington Ultimate ML and it is hands down the most accurate ml i have ever shot. I'm shooting 200 grains of pyrodex behind a 250 grain hornady sabot and the powder does completely burn. It is not primitive like the old hawken i have but I'm ok with that. This ml handles and looks great. In my opinion remington did a great job on this gun. Is $1000 a lot for a ml? Yes. Does the quality of the gun reflect on the price? Definitely. My only complaint about it is that the primed brass is not available anywhere and it is not a standard pistol brass. I have yet to see it in stores and have been having trouble getting them shipped to NY. Not really a big deal because i reload, and yes they are very easy to decap and reprime. The brass takes a 9 1/2 magnum rifle primer. However i am trying to work up a cut down 308 brass instead of buying the primers from remington because 308 brass is obviously much more available.

How do you know all the powder burns? Have you actually tested it

No i have not. So you are right i don't know that all the powder burns from testing it, however the accuracy from shooting 150 grains of powder vs 200 grains is outstanding. i have shot this gun many times trying different bullets/powders and have found that this is what it likes. I'm not trying to say this is the best ml you can buy, I'm just saying that i enjoy the hell out of mine and it treats me well. 

• Like 1

too rich for my blood. i bought a cva optima v2 last week that clovered the first 4 bullets i shot out of it at 100 yards. All that for a third of what this costs. 

what made you decide on CVA Optima? i've been looking at the CVA models a lot 

• 4 weeks later...

I spent $1300 on a pile of parts. Brass furniture, curly maple stock, rice 54 cal swamped barrel, chambers lock.

I got a modern t/c omega. I stuff it with 90grs of goex fffg blackpowder and a 44 cal 240gr hollow point. 100 yard zero I aim at the spine for a good 150 yard broadside shot. Works for me...

I hunt in PA and do blackpowder competitions. I want a flintlock for that.

These high end muzzleloaders are for warly elk season out west, not needed for NY really.

Surprised these modern guns don't employ false muzzles. Especially some elk states ban sabots, pellets, and scopes.

Good luck with 300 yards with irons.

That thompson is a loaner gun only. Always debate selling it. I got 3 roundball guns going on 5.

Nearly all of the early elk seasons out west are held during the rut, so long shots are not necessary.  When I hunted elk in Colorado  with my MZ in 2004,  iron sights were not much of a handicap.  I killed my 6x6 at 20 yards and my partner killed a big 5x6 at 30 yards... Of course, we both had a few years of calling and bowhunting elk under our belts, so the MZ hunt was almost a slam dunk.

• 2 weeks later...

You can buy numerous solid CVA's for around or under $500. Spend another $300 for glass and another $100 on some good cleaning tools, powder, bullets and primers and you're in the business. I'd have a hard time spending a ton of money for what's a short season where you hopefully already have a buck and meat in the freezer.