Getting your deer home

Borngeechee

I had my S-10 pickup until June of this year and the deer  fit fine in the bed. This year I have a Honda Civic and the back seat will come down and the deer will be in a body bag stuffed in there. I already hit a deer (previous thread) with this car in june and the only way I want a deer near my car is me putting it into the trunk, not bouncing off my front window!!

yes, the deer is bagged totally sealed away from any sort of brown or black ,solid gray contractor bags

I'm sure you are aware of this, but if you have a lengthy drive you shouldn't tie or seal the bag closed during transport. The remaining body heat from the deer could start to spoil the meat.

I've used a cargo carrier on the back of my Forester, a covered trailer behind my Prius and Impreza. Trailer is nice, but a pain to hook and unhook every trip. This year will be a cargo carrier on the back of my Grand Cherokee. Nice to have enough ground clearance to use it again.

If I can fit them inside the bed I do.  Last year I could not so he went on the outside hitch with his head tied up in a nice position laying down feet tucked under.  The opposite position he is in these pictures, head facing forward on d/s.  Sure you get some bad looks from the PETA type but I had 3 cars and trucks beeping their horn at me screaming YEA!!!  It was well worth it and I would not change a thing. 

do you use this because the lift into the truck is hard? i've never understood them on pickups.

btw, that's a real nice buck!

I skin it and quarter it at camp and throw it into a cooler.....Once I'm home I take care of the butchering and packing usually with a 6 pack and the game on......Makes it more enjoyable than doing it outside on a picnic table freezing my butt off. Pretty sure you can fit a large cooler in the trunk of a car saves your from the mess as well.

In the bed of the truck. or the back of the suv. Just don't be like this guy. 

I have done this why not If I am offending some one to bad this is fod for my table not their's,depending on temp if warm cut and put in cooler if it is below 40 I have no prob putting on car and going home.

do you use this because the lift into the truck is hard? i've never understood them on pickups.

btw, that's a real nice buck!

Thanks Belo!  He was a young buck but nice!  I had brought 30 days worth of food and equipment so room was an issue.  I got him the 1st day, my buddy wanted to go home the next day so I did not refuse as I was agreeable to just about anything at that point.  If you want to see a real nice buck check out the one I was lucky with in 2010!  (My Avatar)

2013 Buck  Video available, no kill shot.  Google:NFA ADK 2013

http://www.nyantler-outdoors.com/calderone-buck-2013.html

2010 Buck:  To say I was happy would be the understatement of the year.  A true monarch of the woods and trophy of a lifetime! 

http://www.nyantler-outdoors.com/calderone-buck.html

I have done this why not If I am offending some one to bad this is fod for my table not their's,depending on temp if warm cut and put in cooler if it is below 40 I have no prob putting on car and going home.

I guess there's a fine line between food for your family, and a dead animal strapped on top of a blood splattered car driving down a main road to be seen by all...........

I guess there's a fine line between food for your family, and a dead animal strapped on top of a blood splattered car driving down a main road to be seen by all...........

I do agree but if stuffed in the trunk whole how do you keep from spoiling.For myself only have a short drive/transport time so that would be fine but going on long distance drive back home the game is and wont cool properly.

For all you SUV/minivan users who put the deer IN your car...what about ticks? Don't they end up all throughout your car? I think I would prefer to strap it to the roof (tastefully if possible)and deal with the critics as opposed to potentially subjecting myself and family to ticks for weeks later

• Like 1

For all you SUV/minivan users who put the deer IN your car...what about ticks? Don't they end up all throughout your car? I think I would prefer to strap it to the roof (tastefully if possible)and deal with the critics as opposed to potentially subjecting myself and family to ticks for weeks later

You do have a good point tick's are horrible this year

How times have changed I can still remeber when I was growing up my Dad had a pickup and mom had a LTD some times even my mom would come home with the deer straped to the trunk or on the top of the car.I am sorry if I offend people by doing this but keep in mind we are part of PETA people eating tasty animals.

• Like 1