Public land

flygonenuts

My best advice for hunting public land generally is to get there WAY before sunrise and very quietly make your way deep into the woods (preferably an escape route you've scouted preseason).  Then sit and wait for the orange army to push the deer to you.  

• Like 1

My best advice for hunting public land generally is to get there WAY before sunrise and very quietly make your way deep into the woods (preferably an escape route you've scouted preseason). Then sit and wait for the orange army to push the deer to you.

Good advise....i hunt lots of state land don't be afraid to go deep off the beaten trail....I'm not huge on going in before dark just because I don't know all the guys in there and want thwm to see me....plus if I jump one I wanna be able to shoot if it stops....i generally walk in at first light get off trail a bit and then walk deeper and deeper very very slowly till I find where I wanna be...but I never end up sitting to long....

If you scout the area enough, you'll know how many hunters in can accommodate per parking spot without each one of you sitting on top of each other's shoulders. If I get there and I see a bunch of cars already there, then I'll head to another spot.

As far as signs, I check satellite map to see possible water, food, and bedding areas and the logical route they would travel to and from these spots. I then hike to those spot to confirm. Look for tracks, scats, etc. Depending on the time of year, rubs and scrapes might not be present yet. Food sources also changes.

Most casual hunters find the easy spot. As hunting pressure increase, the deer will move further and further aware from people. I pride myself in going further then the average casual hunter is willing to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Elmo
  • Like 3

DEC web site will have a vast amount of info on area's available and regulations for the area you plan on hunting.  DEC will have locations that you HAVE to sign into and allows the hunter an "area" to hunt.  IF you do not want to disturb anyone you will have to stay put.  Tree stands and blinds work well for this type of hunting.  I use blinds in the woods all the time but I call them bushes.

Wildcats160 nailed it.  I would add a asterisk to pre-scouting.  If you want to be successful you have to get out and find the deer.  Otherwise you can just scout when your hunting like I do but its much harder to get it right.  (Can't get a deer if no deer roam your "spot.") 

Good luck and welcome aboard!

• Like 1

What signs do you look for for scouting. Read a lot of articles and the info seems to target private land for scouting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Private land can not be used unless you have permission.  If you have access to private land then scout and hunt it!  Signs are trails, scrapes, rubs, sightings, beds, food available and use, water, tracks, cover, escape routes, crossing trails, antlers and just good observation.  Observation and experience have no better teacher, get out and enjoy the woods.