hunting without a truck how do you transport your deer

Chef

We acted like cave men and just had a feast of raw meat. J/K..........Maybe

I have an SUV with no hydraulics for the rear door or window. I have a mid grade tarp that's bigger then the back area. Make a tub forming around all sides, get the deer in, fold the outer part of the tarp over the deer and take it to processor.

If you have a car, do the same, get a tarp that would make your trunk a tub to avoid spillage.

6 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

I believe I might have an issue this year , my wife was in a car accident last Tuesday while driving the F150 and it might be totalled , I'm not putting a deer in my ST and our back up vehicle is a cavalier , I might be building a platform that mounts on the trunk lid of that.

Bummer.......hopefully your wife is OK? 

What's a "ST"?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Bummer.......hopefully your wife is OK? 

What's a "ST"?

Ford focus ST ,it's my street legal go carts. The wife is OK, sore neck and back, arm and wrist are burned from the airbag . Should find out tomorrow or Tuesday if the truck is totalled . 

images-1.jpg

• Like 3

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2010 at 1:34 PM, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Just my personal view but I won't transport a deer inside a vehicle. When they start to cool off any ticks that are on them start looking for a warm place to go....and that isn't going to be me.

Good point! I had a deer hanging in my basement where the ticks were bailing out. At least 8 that I saw. ....... Yick! I was doing a lot of tick-stomping.

Sure, if you put that deer in the car, they're going to be coming for you ..... lol.

Haven't has a truck in years , needed better gas mileage.
Simply Put them in or on top of trunk..one year had one In trunk and one on top,
Still get a kick out of all the city people coming out in the snow getting stuck coming up the hill in their truck only to have me zip by in my car. A truck doesn't make you a man like 4wheel.drive doesn't make you a driver.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On 11/23/2010 at 10:43 PM, chefhunter86 said:

so i do not own or have access to a tuck do u guys think ill make a big mess if i put a tarp down in my trunk and maybe put the deer in big trash bags. does any one have any suggestions on how to transport deer without a truck. or would anyone like to share how they do it

I throw mine in the back of my Subaru Outback. Plenty of room. There is a hose down rubber mat in there. Easily cleaned. You can put tarps along the sides if afraid of blood smearing. I managed to squeeze deer into my old Monte Carlo trunk too :P 

• Like 1

Those racks that mount in a receiver hitch are the only way to go if u don't have a truck. When I was in the service my old truck wasn't the most reliable so I often drove my Pontiac vibe hunting that rack was awesome. I think I had less than 350$ in the hitch and rack and it kept blood out of the car. I still wrapped them in a tarp because most all the hunting I did was on dusty dirt roads. I still have my rack in case I ever need to use the wife's explorer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've never had a truck so I always put the deer in my trunk. I have a cross over so I just have enough room for a deer in the trunk, but I usually put the back seat down and have more than I need. One thing I always do is skin the deer first so I don't have any ticks in my car.

I use to use a Toyota Camry and I stuffed the whole deer wrapped in a bunch of garbage bags (it wouldn't fit into the heavy duty industrial garbage bags I had) and threw it into the trunk.  I still got some blood on the upholstery so I then bought a large tubberwear storage tub from Walmart and dump the quartered sections in there.  The tub fits snugly into the trunk or with some maneuvering, into the back seat.  I then switch to a mini-SUV and threw the tub in the back.  My dad has since commandeered the container for his own purposes so the last one was quartered, skinned, and garbage bagged in the back of the SUV.  So blood anywhere when doing most of the processing in the woods..

I throw mine in the back of my Subaru Outback. Plenty of room. There is a hose down rubber mat in there. Easily cleaned. You can put tarps along the sides if afraid of blood smearing. I managed to squeeze deer into my old Monte Carlo trunk too default_blum3.gif 

Wow this thread is old.... I now have a truck have actually had two since this post

2 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

I sometimes wondered about people using the rack that attaches to the receiver hitch for hauling deer . I would think that the fumes from the exhaust would have some effect on the deer carcass .

I thought of that before getting a hitch installed. My Subaru exhaust blows down and nowhere near the animal(s)

34 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

I sometimes wondered about people using the rack that attaches to the receiver hitch for hauling deer . I would think that the fumes from the exhaust would have some effect on the deer carcass .

Adds a smoky flavor?

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

we used to tie it down on top of the minivan... blood would continuously drain all over the windows lol. but a hitch hauler is great to let the deer air out while you drive.. never put a deer in a trunk before... I like the suggestion above about tying rope to the trunk hinges too..