hunting without a truck how do you transport your deer

Chef

Well I have a trunk that would fit all the Saprano's ...so a plastic sled and a tarp... the sled would hold the melting ice  I would jam into the cavity for the hour ride home. I checked this all out and keep the sled and the tarp in the trunk in case I take a drive to camp. I did use the trunk here one night when I got the deer to the lower drive and didn't feel like firing up the tractor...the gators bed it crazy high...so I rolled it up and into the cars trunk...so much easier...low to the ground..Grand Marquis

On 11/23/2010 at 10:43 PM, chefhunter86 said:

so i do not own or have access to a tuck do u guys think ill make a big mess if i put a tarp down in my trunk and maybe put the deer in big trash bags. does any one have any suggestions on how to transport deer without a truck. or would anyone like to share how they do it

Thats how ive done it.  Open contractor bags or a tarp.  Its not ideal but it works

There's at least a couple of these similar all-in-one gizmos on the market. Choose this brand because it had better wheels & hard rubber tires, but do wish they were slightly wider. Maybe motorized.. LOL. Super easy to load the cart with a deer lashed to it back onto the receiver yoke. When you look at the cost, they do seem expensive! But if you consider how much a platform AND a deer cart cost individually, not so expensive. Okay, so I wish I still had my Ford Ranger, my ATV with a winch & a small dump bed trailer... just have to figure out how to deal with what life throws at you!

Edited by nyslowhand

I had a 1992 thunderbird , and those cars had HUGE trunks. I once threw a doe in the trunk on a blanket, all was fine, except for the fact that blood had leaked out of the trunk, and down my back bumper. Mind you the car was white. .  lol , I must have had some pretty questionable looks sent my way on the drive home that evening

On 10/5/2017 at 7:03 AM, Jeremy K said:

Im using the wifes explorer this year ,i bought one of those aluminum cargo haulers for the hitch. I'm too worried about getting ticks inside ,I'd feel like a 1st class A-hole if her or my son got a tick on them.

Me, too. I have a minivan and it will haul deer like nobody's business, but now I am worried about a tick. Wrapping it up ought to help, though. Wrapped in tarp there's little to worry about and cheaper and packs up better than a $60 harbor freight carrier. Even with a carrier I think it is "tasteful" to wrap it up.

Edited by Core

tie it down on the roof with rope or tie downs. i do it all the time, i get a few dirty looks on the truway heading back to the city when i hit westchester and the bronx  i usually get the finger but a couple of thumbs up too. if you want you can quarter it and put it in game bags and put a tarp in the trunk but it has to breathe i seen deer go bad very quickly in plastic its the moisture that ruins meat. DONT FORGET THE TAG!!!! keep it with you 

• Like 2