New to the boards

Tim Horlacher

Hello everyone,

New to the boards, trolled a bit reading old posts, a lot of good information on here. On question I haven't found the answer to yet is out of state licenses.

I have been hunting during the shotgun/rifle season in NY for the past 5 or 6 years. I was contemplating hunting archery this year. According to the license website non-residents, in order to get an archery license, need either the Archery Education Course or an existing archery permit. Does that mean if I can prove I've held an archery license in another state thats all I need?

I am planning to take the AEC but all the classes around me in PA are full so it wont be until next year.

Also does it work the same as the old license system. Last time I checked the combo gave tags for 2 archery tags and a firearms buck. One archery tag was either sex and the other I believe was buck specific but may have been doe.

Thank you all for any and all information and guidance

StrAp44

Welcome aboard!  Tags are 1 buck rifle and one of either sex with bow.  I believe if you have a tag from another state that is proof you have taken the safety course for bow.  The original safety certificate is proof and good for 10 years I believe if you still have that.  

• Like 1

Cool thanks guys. I just started fine tuning my bow today. Cant wait to get ip for some last minute scouting.

Also ive never used a stand in NY, never use one for firearms. Are climbers legal to use on public land (game lands or state forest). Ive always hunted private land but that got sold.

Thanks again folks

Stands are legal on most state lands provided they don't damage the tree (climber marks on bark not included) and are removed after the close of the season.  Certain areas like state parks have special regs that you can find on the DEC website. 

Edited by Wildcats160

Welcome aboard.  Your archery certificate from another state will get you your archery tag.  I didn't have to take the Hunter's Safety Course to get my license when i moved to NY.  In case it is an old card, take your most recent archery license with you just in case. 

Had a friend who took the training courses a few years ago and didn't purchase their hunting license. When they went to get one last year, the dealer said since the training was over 5 years ago and they have not purchased any licenses, they needed to take the course again.

Yes you can use climbers - just remember no damages to the trees are allowed on state land (no climbing spikes, hanging spikes, no trimming of branches to get them out of the way, etc).

• 4 weeks later...

welcome. In New York you get one either sex archery/muzzle loader and one either sex regular season. You can also purchase DMP (doe management permits) for $10. availability depends on zone and when you buy them. Westchester is 100% draw rate. Putnam and Dutchess you will get one, if purchased early enough you may get lucky and get one of each or two of the same.

welcome. In New York you get one either sex archery/muzzle loader and one either sex regular season. You can also purchase DMP (doe management permits) for $10. availability depends on zone and when you buy them. Westchester is 100% draw rate. Putnam and Dutchess you will get one, if purchased early enough you may get lucky and get one of each or two of the same.

This is incorrect, you get 1 buck only tag for Rifle season ie regular season, you get 1 either sex tag for bow/muzzleloader, and 1 doe tag if you purchase the muzzle loader and bow license. Then you can apply for DMP also for $10 Chance of getting up to 2 DMPs for that $10. You may get none also. Chances of getting drawn depend on the DMU you put in for, the odds vary greatly.