Hows are you doing so far?

Northcountryman

3 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

Ok, so went out sat thru monday and took today off cuz I had some things to do.  All ive seen so far is one deer blasting pat me around 7am sunday morning; besides that, nothing.  Only 1 guy in my club has scored so far, a nice 8 pointer opening morning around 6:50 i think. How are you doing? Get anything yet? Any sightings?

0 deer

• Like 1

I saw 28 deer opening day from my tower stand, and not one of them had an antler...Second day I saw one deer, a buck,but he was tiny...I doubt he would dress out 75 pounds, so I let him walk...Yesterday I saw 12, but again no bucks...

I have two DMPs, but I prefer to hold off on shooting does this early in the season...All in all, I am having fun seeing lots of deer.. Sooner or later a decent buck will show up.. I am not a trophy hunter by any stretch of the imagination,  but I'd like to shoot something with a little MEAT on it, unlike that little skipper I passed up Sunday..

• Like 5

idk how many deer. a lot. Saturday and Sunday I let at least 7 bucks walk in total. all between 1.5 to 2.5 years old. closest was directly under climber at my one set that was only 8ft off the ground. many others within chip shot bow range. guess i haven't converted to the rifle hunting mindset quite yet.

So two days ago my camera goes off with a nice fat doe at my ground blind at 8:30 am

So yesterday I get in the blind at 5:45 am and sit till noon …. Nothing

Now I didn’t go today … 8:15 am here she comes again …

Now I’m wondering am I bumping her walking in or is she on a two day pattern 

11 hours ago, luberhill said:

So two days ago my camera goes off with a nice fat doe at my ground blind at 8:30 am

So yesterday I get in the blind at 5:45 am and sit till noon …. Nothing

Now I didn’t go today … 8:15 am here she comes again …

Now I’m wondering am I bumping her walking in or is she on a two day pattern 

Go on the second day and can you walk in another way or no ?

Two of our group scored on Sunday with decent eights, and two more got it done last night, one with a bonus doe thrown in for good measure. The bucks were all 2 1/2 -3 1/2 year old deer; the doe was a swamp donkey. We are seeing good numbers of scrub bucks and tons of doe. I suspect our luck is due to a late soybean harvest of very small plants that left 30% of the beans still hanging in pods. The field was planted after the summer drought started and never took off. Bad for the farmer, great for our season.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2022 at 6:28 AM, Northcountryman said:

Gotcha ; only thing you can do then is try to go on the second day . My belief is that the deer is winding you , though . Do you spray your eqpt and clothes e with scent blocker ?

That stuff can't trick a mature deers nose. They smell your breath? What can you do for that? Stop breathing. Lol. Sometimes if you watch your thermals you can walk in after sunrise and your thermals are.going up in the air. Use milk weed

Been out a few mornings and evenings over the last week and have only seen does and 1 button buck.  I'm in the antler restriction zone.  A few folks around me have taken some decent bucks, but none on the opener.  The weather was warm and sunny a few days and deer weren't moving during the day.  Still plenty of time to hunt and I have a doe tag for another zone I will fill towards the end of the season.  I like the hunting more than the killing, so I'm enjoying the hunting this year.  I expect I will shoot a buck before the season ends.