Electric smokers

WNYBuckHunter

Last year my electric cabinet smoker gave up the ghost after quite a few years of use. Now it’s time to find a replacement, and I wanted to see if anyone on here had ideas about what’s out there now. I’m figuring that I’ll stay with electric, as I’ve had good results with my old one, and I’d like it to be as large of a capacity as I can. I would love to be able to fit full racks of ribs and briskets in it. Built in temperature probes would be great, but aren’t completely necessary. 

What do you all use and recommend?

What's your budget? I have two green mountain pellet smokers and absolutely love them. One is the size of a normal grill, and the other one is a small portable. I have nothing but good to say about the bigger one, i use it a couple times per week. I just bought the small one last week and have yet to use it. I got the smaller one so i can bring it back and forth to camp and i figured it would be easier to use in the winter months. If you look into them the two models i have are the Daniel Boone and Trek. Both are wifi compatible so you can control the smoker from your phone if you want. They're running a black Friday sale on them right now.

2 hours ago, SuperMag said:

What's your budget? I have two green mountain pellet smokers and absolutely love them. One is the size of a normal grill, and the other one is a small portable. I have nothing but good to say about the bigger one, i use it a couple times per week. I just bought the small one last week and have yet to use it. I got the smaller one so i can bring it back and forth to camp and i figured it would be easier to use in the winter months. If you look into them the two models i have are the Daniel Boone and Trek. Both are wifi compatible so you can control the smoker from your phone if you want. They're running a black Friday sale on them right now.

I’d like to stay around 300, 400 would be my max. I already have 2 grills (gas and charcoal) so I’m not looking for another grill. I want a set it and forget it type smoker, I don’t have time to babysit one. My old one was a Cajun Injector brand, which I think was a rebranded Masterbuilt, and it did great for me. The only thing I didn’t like was that it wasn’t wide enough to do a full rack of ribs without cutting it in half. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I’d like to stay around 300, 400 would be my max. I already have 2 grills (gas and charcoal) so I’m not looking for another grill. I want a set it and forget it type smoker, I don’t have time to babysit one. My old one was a Cajun Injector brand, which I think was a rebranded Masterbuilt, and it did great for me. The only thing I didn’t like was that it wasn’t wide enough to do a full rack of ribs without cutting it in half. 

They don't get much more set it and forget it than these. It is a smoker, but can go all the way to 550 degrees if you want. The small one is $350 right now.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2022 at 10:12 PM, moog5050 said:

I have the30” masterbuilt.   Works fine and does the job.   Less than $300.  

Do you have any problem with it getting to 225 when it is below 35 degrees out? I have a similar one and love it but have given up trying to use it in the winter..

I had a Bradley Original electric smoker. Won it in a raffle a few years back. It was the style that used the wood pucks that would feed in to create the smoke. It worked great sometimes. But if the outside temp dropped below 75ish, it had a hard time maintaining a proper cooking temp. I've since moved on to a Pitboss vertical smoker. The control panel is electric, but it feeds pellets in for heat and smoke. I love it. I've had no trouble getting to temp and holding it even in poor weather. 

• Like 1

I’m not too familiar with the tower smokers, but for the guys who are having issues with keeping temps in cold weather, see if they make a winter blanket for your model. I’ve got one I put on my smoker for the winter and it holds temps very steady and lowers pellet consumption. If they don’t make one for the smoker you have, a welding blanket works just as good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, SuperMag said:

I’m not too familiar with the tower smokers, but for the guys who are having issues with keeping temps in cold weather, see if they make a winter blanket for your model. I’ve got one I put on my smoker for the winter and it holds temps very steady and lowers pellet consumption. If they don’t make one for the smoker you have, a welding blanket works just as good.

I was almost thinking about getting a blanket that would be used to wrap a hot water tank and cutting it down to size..   I will give it a try

• Like 1

I was almost thinking about getting a blanket that would be used to wrap a hot water tank and cutting it down to size..   I will give it a try

That’s not a bad idea. The blanket doesn’t have to be form fit to the smoker to work, all you really need to do is drape it over it. It makes a world of difference. Before I bought the blanket that is made specifically for my smoker I went to harbor freight and bought the cheapest welding blanket they had. It worked really well. This is the blanket I have on my bigger smoker now. I like that it has grommets that the handle bolts through so I can just leave it on. 073fe6e8bc37a2f18f9b6cf27799e7f6.jpg

On 11/28/2022 at 9:58 PM, Bolt action said:

I had a Bradley Original electric smoker. Won it in a raffle a few years back. It was the style that used the wood pucks that would feed in to create the smoke. It worked great sometimes. But if the outside temp dropped below 75ish, it had a hard time maintaining a proper cooking temp. I've since moved on to a Pitboss vertical smoker. The control panel is electric, but it feeds pellets in for heat and smoke. I love it. I've had no trouble getting to temp and holding it even in poor weather. 

The uninsulated ones are a pain in cold weather. Thats when i usually do the majority of my smoking though lol. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have the MasterBuilt Elite electric and it works fine . Due to me not getting around too well I didn't use it this past summer . I put it on 3"thick patio blocks in case it rains and have a cover for it .After talking to my neighbor , I went with Electric . My neighbor was doing ribs on his propane smoker and when he went out to check , he discovered he had run out of propane and didn't know how long the flame had been out . He borrowed my electric smoker to finish up . 

• Like 1