Slings, AKA Carry Strap

For me a sling on my rifle is an essential, I use them strictly as a carrying aid and a rifle without one is uncomplete for me. Years ago some slings were used as an aid for steadying your rifle for more steady aim and precision shooting, I tried that method but it never took hold with me. The military believed in them, don't know if they still do today, I have an adjustable military leather sling around here somewhere.

A simple nylon strap works just fine for me most of the time, on my heavier rifles I will use a wider strap to distribute the weight better. Although I have some nice leather slings the ones I like in the field are made from nylon or Cordura, All except one use quick detachable mounts, I have one with snug down loops on the ends I use for any sling less  firearms mostly double shotguns.

Below are some different examples I use.

Al

2022-11-25_083048.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

I use Uncle Mike’s Mountain Sling for my guns.   I only own two of them so the ride different guns regularly.   

Actually, although mine are black, the center green one above looks very similar.  Very utilitarian.  

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 1

These days,  I generally keep my sling in my pack, until I need to drag a carcass.  I started doing that, after missing out on a shot opportunity on a deer, because my gun was hanging on my shoulder and not in my hands. 

My father in law’s scoped Marlin 336 has a non-detachable sling, and that’s about the only thing I don’t like about it.  Someday, I’m going to sneak a set of detachable sling mounts on it, while he’s not looking.  What he don’t know won’t hurt him.  I did that with a hammer stud extension (makes it a lot easier to cock the trigger with the scope), and he never picked up on it. 
F4D71D13-F3E3-4FD7-8B0D-7935B84C77A1.thumb.jpeg.a9f52efee657b8e37331e48b10ea6002.jpeg

Yesterday morning, while following the blood trail of a tiny spike buck (I mistook it for a big doe) that I thought I hit good at home,  I did attach the sling.   Then I hung my Marlin 512 12 gauge slug gun on my shoulder.  I only did that, so that I could easily (using two hands) mark the red blood drops, as they started to peter out, with orange surveyor ribbon.

That was the only deer, that I have ever double-lunged with any weapon, which made a sharp 90 degree turn, mid-death-run.  He ran into a thick jungle-like 1/2 acre patch of cover.  It took me almost 1/2 hour to find him, because of that crazy maneuver.   
0E3A9817-3B22-4304-BE40-73D24DE7EBC6.thumb.jpeg.32328917f3e526c3ec4f40ead6022420.jpeg

As far a shooting with slings, we used them from prone, kneeling, and off-hand positions, on the singe shot .22 LR’s, when I was on the high school rifle team.  They helped the most from the offhand position.  

I’ve never used one for added support while hunting, but most of my stands and blinds have very good rests.   I’ve used lots of trees to steady my shots also, and I just picked up a set of shooting sticks this year.

If we get an east wind before January 1, I hope to try those from my pop-up blind.  

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I generally keep my sling in my pack, until I need to drag a carcass.  I started doing that, after missing out on a shot opportunity on a deer, because my gun was hanging on my shoulder and not in my hands. 

I never have my gun hanging from my shoulder when actually hunting. For me they earn their keep especially when you have to drag one out or on a long walk out at the end of the day.

Al

• Like 2

I almost never use a sling as a shooting aid . As a matter of fact I can't remember last time I did . I keep a sling on all my  rifles even while still hunting . The only rifle I don't have a sling on is a browning blr . Dont want that in the way when running the action. Not saying it will be a  problem but just don't want a problem as I'm not use to the action type. All my rifles have a claw sling on it . The claw locks onto your clothing doesn't slide around . Best sling ever.

Edited by Nytracker

This little stretchy camo one rides in my pack most of the time.  It stretchyness seems to take pounds off the weight of the weapon.
B1441BF0-F325-41ED-B554-AF28BBFFF3CB.thumb.jpeg.7276b50a31c64b25e1bb36133a6bb90e.jpeg

I use it with all my guns and crossbows except for my grandad’s old Ithaca model 37 16 gauge featherlight.  That thing is so that light I wouldn’t know it was on my shoulder with the stretchy sling.

That light weight also makes it the hardest kicking deer gun, that I have ever fired.  Ithaca built the 16 gauge, with almost the same receiver as the 20 gauge, yet it packs a powder load, almost equal to the 12 gauge.  

I like 16 gauge shotguns the best, because they look the best proportioned .  20 gauges look too small and skinny and 12 gauges look too big and fat.  I especially like this one, because it hasn’t failed to put a deer in my freezer, since I put that 1.5 Weaver on it about 39 years ago.

I made that sling in 4-H leather class when I was 14. 

CB37C6CD-07E2-499F-9BDD-41A4069D7783.thumb.jpeg.7733c04de013d21ccbe5d4503bd03300.jpeg

Edited by wolc123

6 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I like 16 gauge shotguns the best, because they look the best proportioned .  20 gauges look too small and skinny and 12 gauges look too big and fat.  I especially like this one, because it hasn’t failed to put a deer in my freezer, since I put that 1.5 Weaver on it about 39 years ago.

Gotta love Wolc logic:D

• Like 2

Just now, airedale said:

Gotta love Wolc logic:D

That’s right up there with:  “if God wanted man to shoot over and under shotguns, He’d have put your eyes like that”. 

That’s what I would always tell my buddies, on the trap team, as they used their fancy Browning over an unders, and I had my Grandpa’s old Ithaca side by side. 

All of my rifles and repeating shotguns have sling swivels, or on most of them, studs for detachable slings..

My only guns without slings are  my side/sides and O/U....

And YES I have missed a few shot opportunities over the years on deer and turkeys because my gun was slung over my shoulder.. Oh well......

• Like 2

I have sling studs on almost all of my rifles and prefer to use an M1 Carbine sling on all of them.  It's olive drab, easy to adjust, is very light and attaches and detaches quickly.  Hunting in the mountains, I am always looking to lighten things up.  I learned how to use a sling as a shooting aid at a very young age on a shooting team and still find it to be advantageous today when looking to steady the shot as much as possible.  I find slings to be less for carry than for shooting.