Do they go deeper now, when pressured?

Northcountryman

We have large parcels of thick multiflora rose that will eat a hunter up if you go in there. Also, there is no quiet way in and around these huge patches of the invasive species. The thorns will tear at your clothing and skin if you try to move through these areas. It has been that way for a few decades now, and the deer have taken note that they can spend their daylight hours hunkered in these areas and never see a hunter trying to hunt these areas. You can try doing drives in these areas, and maybe, if you are lucky, you might make it out the other side with most of your hide. And the deer will merely walk circles around you and then hunker down again. I have not figured a way to hunt these areas, and I don't think anyone else has either.

29 minutes ago, Doc said:

We have large parcels of thick multiflora rose that will eat a hunter up if you go in there. Also, there is no quiet way in and around these huge patches of the invasive species. The thorns will tear at your clothing and skin if you try to move through these areas. It has been that way for a few decades now, and the deer have taken note that they can spend their daylight hours hunkered in these areas and never see a hunter trying to hunt these areas. You can try doing drives in these areas, and maybe, if you are lucky, you might make it out the other side with most of your hide. And the deer will merely walk circles around you and then hunker down again. I have not figured a way to hunt these areas, and I don't think anyone else has either.

Rent a forestry mulcher bobcat and create channels for you to walk and drive them out..

2 hours ago, Doc said:

I had lots of that crap and brush hogged it down then sprayed brush killer

• Like 1

On 11/29/2022 at 7:35 PM, First-light said:

There is zero pressure right now around my place. 4 owners close to a thousand acres. This will be my first time seeing what happens last week. I tell you being full time you see things in a time frame like no other. 

You sure do! My brother is living at ours currently. And the intel is great having him there. 

• Like 1

I didn’t make it to my swamp edge stand last Sunday afternoon, as I had planned.  My parents heard (4) shots back in that area in the morning, so I thought my stand on the other side of their woods might be better.  I didn’t see anything there though. The swamp edge stand has always been a better morning spot for me.  

It’s been quite a few years, since I still had a buck tag this deep into the season, but I am thinking that I might have a good chance of punching that this Saturday morning, from that swamp edge stand.  It will be 1 year and two weeks since the last time I hunted it.  

Three years ago, on the Third Saturday morning of gun season, two bucks chased a doe twice by that stand, the second time around, passing directly under it.  My buck tag was long gone, and my Marlin 512 froze up, allowing that doe to escape unharmed.   

I’m hoping that the bucks do go deep.  I don’t have a deeper spot, than that stand.  I can’t ever recall taking an antlered buck after Thanksgiving weekend, but I like my odds this Saturday.  I’ll be packing my old Ithaca 37 16 gauge.  That thing never fails to get the job done, no matter how cold it is.  

• Like 1

On 11/30/2022 at 2:44 PM, Doc said:

I hunt these same type of areas here in Stewart. I bought hunting chaps, no more torn up leg. If the brush is going to pretty tall then I'll wear a welder's jacket. I always and I mean always push 2 to 3 deer out of these spots when I walk through. They usually wait until I'm 10 - 20yrds away from them before even getting up.

On 11/30/2022 at 2:44 PM, Doc said:

We have large parcels of thick multiflora rose that will eat a hunter up if you go in there. Also, there is no quiet way in and around these huge patches of the invasive species. The thorns will tear at your clothing and skin if you try to move through these areas. It has been that way for a few decades now, and the deer have taken note that they can spend their daylight hours hunkered in these areas and never  a hunter trying to hunt these areas. You can try doing drives in these areas, and maybe, if you are lucky, you might make it out the other side with most of your hide. And the deer will merely walk circles around you and then hunker down again. I have not figured a way to hunt these areas, and I don't think anyone else has either.

I have a few tangles of that invasive weed in my hunting areas and curse at it often. It sticks and pulls at clothing and skin. I hate it!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2022 at 4:48 PM, genesee_mohican said:

I have a few tangles of that invasive weed in my hunting areas and curse at it often. It sticks and pulls at clothing and skin. I hate it!

Ha-ha-ha....It is man-killer kind of brush that will tear you up. Also there is no such thing as "Sneaking" through it. I have seen this stuff taking over the whole valley bottom. And yet the deer move through it with no problem. If a deer wants to spend the day in there, there is no one who's going to kick them out of there.

• Like 2

On 12/13/2022 at 11:22 AM, Doc said:

Ha-ha-ha....It is man-killer kind of brush that will tear you up. Also there is no such thing as "Sneaking" through it. I have seen this stuff taking over the whole valley bottom. And yet the deer move through it with no problem. If a deer wants to spend the day in there, there is no one who's going to kick them out of there.

No doubt , and that’s exactly why so many of them survive the rifle season!!

This is an interesting study on a PA buck  titled " Life And Times Of Buck 8917 "   They tracked him year round for 3 years . It shows where he went , where he bedded down ,and how he evaded hunting pressure through his planned escape routes by watching hunters movements . They never figured out how he died. But I suspect it was coyotes , even though the study was ruling it out . I could be wrong , but I think hunting season was over in PA when he died . The only other guess is it could have been from a late season bullet wound weeks earlier that finally did him in . Read it and come up with your theory .

https://www.deer.psu.edu/the-life-and-times-of-buck-8917/

Edited by SportsmanNH
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, SportsmanNH said:

This is an interesting study on a PA buck  titled " Life And Times Of Buck 8917 "   They tracked him year round for 3 years . It shows where he went , where he bedded down ,and how he evaded hunting pressure through his planned escape routes by watching hunters movements . They never figured out how he died. But I suspect it was coyotes , even though the study was ruling it out . I could be wrong , but I think hunting season was over in PA when he died . The only other guess is it could have been from a late season bullet wound weeks earlier that finally did him in . Read it and come up with your theory .

https://www.deer.psu.edu/the-life-and-times-of-buck-8917/

That was a great read!  Thanks for sharing.  My theory is he went to "that spot" twice being chased by coyotes where he successfully  evaded them.  The second time the coyotes did not kill him, but he died from some injury (perhaps a coyote wound).  When he did die, the coyotes found him from the smell of decomposition.  Also, to a deer a road is not a road, it is just an open area with hard ground.  

That was a great read/watch.  Thanks for posting.  It would be so cool if the time-lapse maps in the article indicated daytime versus nighttime movement.  Would be a good test of the often mentioned theory that bucks go "nocturnal" once the hunting pressure hits.

9 minutes ago, Sambuca said:

That was a great read/watch.  Thanks for posting.  It would be so cool if the time-lapse maps in the article indicated daytime versus nighttime movement.  Would be a good test of the often mentioned theory that bucks go "nocturnal" once the hunting pressure hits.

It does actually . On the time frame videos when the line is green , its legal hunting hours . The red lines are night movement