Erie County Buck

Steve D

51 minutes ago, DoubleDose said:

My understanding from years ago was that the Seneca white deer were all white (leucism), no brown and not albino (no pigment).  The deer in the photos appears to be an extreme piebald, as there are brown patches.

Some of Seneca White deer have jumped the fence and have bred with the regulars. As such Romulus area often gets to see more piebald deer.

7 hours ago, suburbanfarmer said:

Some of Seneca White deer have jumped the fence and have bred with the regulars. As such Romulus area often gets to see more piebald deer.

It is also my understanding that leucism and piebald, are caused by recessive genes that get expressed through too much inbreeding, which is not good.  We hunters may like the "exotic" look, but it is a sign of an unhealthy herd.

I think it’s a plain brown deer that jumped into a bunch of fresh powdery snow during last weeks blizzard.  Show me a picture of it on some green grass and I’ll believe it’s really a white deer.  

Notice how the part above the snow line (between the antlers) is normal colored. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Many years ago I remember seeing 23 piebald deer in a winter wheat field. This was in Newfield, NY (near Shelter Valley Rd). This was in mid March and the snow was just leaving the hills. I remember the time of year because I was there to check on the rainbow trout run in Cayuga Inlet. Anyway, there were also 100+ hungry brown whitetails in the same field, but they did NOT associate with the piebald deer. I watched them for over 30 minutes and the two groups avoided each other. I imagine that's not the case during the rut!

He is pretty neat looking if you ask me. Having raised livestock for many years one of the more interesting things to come across are genetic anomalies producing off the wall colors. Rare most times in the wild but get man involved in their breeding and things can be changed big time.

Sometimes it can be a desired trait say like white feathered Turkeys for meat, breeders took those occasional whites that popped up and bred them together over and over eventually getting them to set as a strain having all newly hatched poults come white. Most store bought Turkeys today are white feathered and came from genetic anomalies.

Al

Edited by airedale

21 hours ago, suburbanfarmer said:

They don't have to jump any fences. Openings all over. I shed hunt over there,  deer all over,  white and brown.

• Like 1