NY DEC Finalizes Rule Changes for CrossBow Hunting

DEC FINALIZES RULE CHANGES TO IMPLEMENT NEW CROSSBOW HUNTING LAW

New Regulations Now in Effect for Fall 2014

The Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) has adopted final regulation changes to ensure that the crossbow is a legal implement for the fall 2014 hunting seasons, Commission Joe Martens announced today.  These regulations are adopted under new state law which authorizes DEC to allow big game (deer and bear) and small game hunting with a crossbow under certain conditions.

“The new law that authorizes the use of crossbows for hunting demonstrates Governor Cuomo’s commitment to increasing hunting opportunities here in New York State,” said Commissioner Martens. “Crossbow hunting is growing across the country and the new law expands the opportunities for hunters to use crossbows when hunting in New York.”

The final regulations adopted today include the following:

General

• Crossbows may not be used for hunting any wildlife in Suffolk, Nassau, or Westchester counties.
  • Crossbows may be used only by licensees who are 14 years of age or older.
  • With landowner permission, crossbows may be discharged within 250 feet of a home, school building or playground, public structure, farm structure in use, or occupied factory or church.
  • A crossbow may not be possessed in or on a motor vehicle unless it is un-cocked.
  • When you are in a vehicle and using a spotlight to look at wildlife, a crossbow may not be possessed unless it is unstrung or taken down or securely fastened in a case or locked in the trunk of the vehicle.
  • Anyone hunting with a crossbow must have:

1.   completed a Standard Hunter Education course offered by DEC on or after April 1, 2014; OR

2.   completed a DEC-approved on-line or other training program (e.g., material provided in the annual hunting guide). Hunters must carry a signed self-certification in the field when hunting with a crossbow as proof of compliance.

• Crossbows may not be used to take carp or any other fish species.

Crossbow Specifications

• A legal crossbow consists of a bow and string, either compound or recurve, that launches a minimum 14-inch bolt or arrow, not including point, mounted upon a stock with a trigger that holds the string and limbs under tension until released.
  • The trigger unit of a crossbow must have a working safety.
  • The minimum limb width of a crossbow is 17 inches (measured from the widest part of the limbs, un-cocked). Crossbows must have a minimum peak draw weight of 100 pounds and a maximum peak draw weight of 200 pounds.
  • The minimum overall length of a crossbow from butt-stock to front of limbs shall be 24 inches.

Big Game

• Crossbows may not be used to take deer or bear in WMU 4J in Albany County, WMU 8C in Monroe County, or any part of Suffolk, Nassau or Westchester counties.
  • For licensing, the new law treats crossbows as a “muzzleloader.” Hunters must possess a muzzleloader hunting privilege to legally hunt with a crossbow during any muzzleloader season OR during open portions of the early bowhunting seasons. The muzzleloader license privilege is not required when hunting with a crossbow during the early bear season or the regular firearms seasons.
  • Crossbows may be used to take bear during the early bear season, early muzzleloader season in the Northern Zone, regular firearms seasons in the Northern and Southern Zones, and the late muzzleloader season in the Southern Zone.
  • Crossbows may be used to take deer during:
    • early and late muzzleloader season in the Northern Zone and late muzzleloader season in the Southern Zone using Bow/Muzzleloader tags, deer management permits (DMPs), deer management assistance permit tags (DMAPs), or an unfilled Regular Big Game tag (late season only);
    • regular firearms seasons using a Regular Big Game tag, DMPs, or DMAP tags.
  • Crossbows may also be used to take deer or bear during limited portions of bowhunting seasons as follows, provided that the hunter possesses the muzzleloading privilege:
  • During the last 14 days of the early bowhunting season in the Southern Zone (i.e., November 1 - November 14, 2014);
  • During the last 10 days of the early bowhunting season in the Northern Zone (i.e., October 15 - October 24, 2014; this includes the 7-day early muzzleloader season in the Northern Zone);
  • Only Bow/Muzzloader tags, DMPs or DMAPs may be used during these times.
  • Junior big game hunters (age 14-15) may not use a crossbow to take a deer during the Youth Deer Hunt weekend (October 11 - 13, 2014). Adult mentors who accompany a junior big game hunter on the Youth Deer Hunt weekend may not possess a crossbow or firearm while afield on those days.

Small Game

• Wild turkey - crossbows may be used to hunt wild turkey in either the fall or spring.
  • Crossbows may not be used to take waterfowl or other migratory game birds.
  • Crossbows may not be possessed afield in the Northern Zone when hunting small game (except coyotes) with the aid of a dog or when accompanied by a dog.
  • Crossbows may be used to take any other small game or upland game birds during their respective open seasons, or to take unprotected wildlife (e.g., red squirrels and woodchucks) at any time.

Details of the final rule can be viewed in the August 27, 2014 publication of the New York State Register and on DEC’s website at www.dec.ny.gov/regulations/34113.html#Part1Part2p.  For a general summary of the law, see DEC’s information on crossbow hunting at www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/68802.html.  DEC’s position on crossbow use for deer hunting is provided in Appendix 5 of the NYS Deer Management Plan (www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/deerplan2012.pdf).

With the purchase of a 2014-2015 sporting license, on sale as of August 4, 2014, New York hunters will receive copies of the new Hunting and Trapping Law and Regulations Guide, and the new crossbow regulations are clearly described in the Guide. The Guide features information on the educational requirements for hunters using crossbows. Hunters are required to read the safety information available in the Guide and on the DEC website, and certify that they have done so. This certification must be carried when afield hunting with a crossbow. Crossbow hunters should carefully read all of the information in the Guide to ensure that they are in full compliance with the new regulations.

Governor Cuomo signed into law the changes to the Environmental Conservation Law in April, 2014. DEC’s final regulations maximize the use of crossbows allowed under the law’s provisions. 

The NY Open for Fishing and Hunting Initiative is an effort to improve recreational opportunities for sportsmen and women and to boost tourism activities throughout the State. This initiative includes streamlining fishing and hunting licenses, reducing license fees, improving access for fishing, and increasing hunting opportunities in New York State.

In support of this initiative, this year’s budget includes $6 million in NY Works funding to support creating 50 new land and water access projects to connect hunters, anglers, bird watchers, and others who enjoy the outdoors to more than 380,000 acres of existing state and easement lands that have not reached their full potential. These 50 new access projects include building new boat launches, installing new hunting blinds, and building new trails and parking areas. In addition, the 2014-15 budget includes $4 million to repair the State’s fish hatcheries; and renews and allows expanded use of crossbows for hunting in New York State.

This year’s budget also reduces short-term fishing license fees; increases the number of authorized statewide free fishing days to eight from two; authorizes DEC to offer 10 days of promotional prices for hunting, fishing and trapping licenses; and authorizes free Adventure Plates for new lifetime license holders, discounted Adventure Plates for existing lifetime license holders, and regular fee Adventure Plates for annual license holders.

This post has been promoted to an article

Crossbows may be used to take deer during:early and late muzzleloader season in the Northern Zone and late muzzleloader season in the Southern Zone using Bow/Muzzleloader tags, deer management permits (DMPs), deer management assistance permit tags (DMAPs), or an unfilled Regular Big Game tag (late season only);

Can you do this with a muzzleloader as well?

(Not sure if I can reply to this thread)

Edited by Woodjr55

Crossbows may be used to take deer during:early and late muzzleloader season in the Northern Zone and late muzzleloader season in the Southern Zone using Bow/Muzzleloader tags, deer management permits (DMPs), deer management assistance permit tags (DMAPs), or an unfilled Regular Big Game tag (late season only);

Can you do this with a muzzleloader as well?

(Not sure if I can reply to this thread)

During late season, any tags can be used, yes this includes unfilled reg. season tags. You can also use a reg. season tag for an antlerless harvest in the late season.

Edited by jgsbucker

Alot of guys just buy a sportsman or supersportsman license every year because way back you got the DMP for free, Not the case anymore.Now with the new "AL A CARTE" system they only pay for what they really will use and for most guys it has worked out cheaper. The price reduction on the freshwater license from $29.00 to $25.00 has also helped save guys a few bucks.Its all there on the DEC website..checkout highlights of changes

http://www.eregulations.com/newyork/hunting/highlights-of-changes-for-2014-15/

Edited by LI OUTDOORSMAN

Alot of guys just buy a sportsman or supersportsman license every year because way back you got the DMP for free, Not the case anymore.Now with the new "AL A CARTE" system they only pay for what they really will use and for most guys it has worked out cheaper. The price reduction on the freshwater license from $29.00 to $25.00 has also helped save guys a few bucks.Its all there on the DEC website..checkout highlights of changes

http://www.eregulations.com/newyork/hunting/highlights-of-changes-for-2014-15/

but if you buy the full boat as you used to. super sportsman with DMP's you basically save a whopping $1. while out of states got big discounts. I bring this up because the Cuomo lackey making the statement that Cuomo is increasing the opportunities for the NY sportsman is a pile of $&iT

• Like 3

All I see is increased revenue for the state when a muzzleloader license is required for Southern Zone early bow hunting season crossbow usage. Some want to hunt early bow with a crossbow- (muzzleloader), with no intentions of hunting muzzleloader season. I see it as raising license fees without raising license fees. What a crock. Another business tax free zone scam. The state just made my mind up. Crossbow will hang another year, once more.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

All I see is increased revenue for the state when a muzzleloader license is required for Southern Zone early bow hunting season crossbow usage. Some want to hunt early bow with a crossbow- (muzzleloader), with no intentions of hunting muzzleloader season. I see it as raising license fees without raising license fees. What a crock. Another business tax free zone scam. The state just made my mind up. Crossbow will hang another year, once more.

If you fill your bow tag the first two weeks the grab the ML tag to finish bow season.

.....and let the idiots flood the woods now!  I can already see the people flinging arrows during bow season 100+ yards at deer who couldn't shoot a gun that far.  Ugh!  I get the special use needs for people who want to bow hunt and can't draw a standad bow, but that is NOT who is going to be the vast majority of who buys a cross-bow.  Our once quiet unpressured season is all gonna change now!!!

.....and let the idiots flood the woods now! I can already see the people flinging arrows during bow season 100+ yards at deer who couldn't shoot a gun that far. Ugh! I get the special use needs for people who want to bow hunt and can't draw a standad bow, but that is NOT who is going to be the vast majority of who buys a cross-bow. Our once quiet unpressured season is all gonna change now!!!

Highly doubt it. Plus there is a huge barrier to entry. Those crossbows are expensive plus not everyone is a slob as you are depicting.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

So you don't need the archery course to use a crossbow?

Nope. Must posses a Muzzleloading Hunting  Privilege for early bow, late muzzleloader seasons, watch a movie online, and fill out and carry a Crossbow Certificate of Qualification, stating your watched the movie. The certificate are in the 14- 15 guide booklet or on line.  Regular Season use are covered under your Big Game License. They are considered a firearm in New York State.

They still allow hunting in Clarence? LOL.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

Highly doubt it. Plus there is a huge barrier to entry. Those crossbows are expensive plus not everyone is a slob as you are depicting.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I paid $175...Horton xbow, 6 bolts, cocking rope, scope, and ready to let it rain 100 yd bombs after ten shots.

Not as cost prohibitive as you think.

This whole introduciton has been nothing but a vaseline-free ram job. xbow hunt in bow season without having to sit through an archery ed class while hunting on a MZ tag. Brilliant. Brilliant!

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

The $175 I paid to get set up was a deal readily available a few months ago.

Heck, that's cheaper than most all entry level bows.

The uneducated yahoos are coming.

This is where New York officials have fallen short of a nice opportunity. They have missplayed the cards they were dealt, and opened up a new can of worms. All they had to do is look at other states and review their success and failures. Use this in some of the decision making.  Politics taking over, once again.

I purchased a crossbow this season,so I guess I'm an unethical idiot hunter now!I have been a bow hunter for 38 years and will continue to do so.This just gives me another tool to hunt with.I have kill deer with a shotgun,rifle,handgun,muzzleloader and a bow.You crossbow haters can just b##w me!

Nope. Must posses a Muzzleloading Hunting  Privilege for early bow, late muzzleloader seasons, watch a movie online, and fill out and carry a Crossbow Certificate of Qualification, stating your watched the movie. The certificate are in the 14- 15 guide booklet or on line.  Regular Season use are covered under your Big Game License. They are considered a firearm in New York State.

They still allow hunting in Clarence? LOL.

A bow is a firearm in NY state too. Im surprised you can use a crossbow during archery season without taking the course. You be shocked at the places in Clarence where I still guys doing deer drives in the late season, it wont be long before its over. Still plenty of good farmland to the East though

The uneducated yahoos are coming.

There are already many of them out there, you know that. The guys "raining down 100 yard bombs" with crossbows are probably the same guys trying to rain down 60 yard bombs with vertical bows, or taking shots at deer at 200 yards with their 12 Ga, holding 3 feet over the deers back with a $1 generic lead slug.

They either wont last long once they figure out they actually need woodsmanship skills to get close enough, or they will gain the skills and become fellow archery hunters.

Come on bud, you just got back from an awesome vacation! You shouldnt be so doom and gloom hahahaha.

IMO archery season will still be quiet compared to gun season. As to take a moving animal with a arrow would take a very very lucky shot. So drives and group hunters will not be the way majority hunt. My thing with xbows is that they are cheaper not everyone can drop 500 or better to get a quality vertical bow set up. A good xbow is half that or better. I'm all for xbows and some of the naysayers should at least give it a chance again I'm sure a lot of guys against rifle hunting now use a rifle also.

IMO archery season will still be quiet compared to gun season. As to take a moving animal with a arrow would take a very very lucky shot. So drives and group hunters will not be the way majority hunt. My thing with xbows is that they are cheaper not everyone can drop 500 or better to get a quality vertical bow set up. A good xbow is half that or better. I'm all for xbows and some of the naysayers should at least give it a chance again I'm sure a lot of guys against rifle hunting now use a rifle also.

A really good quality crossbow is pricey, just like a vertical bow. I wouldnt touch anything thats out there under $500 new, but thats just me.

• Like 2