NY DEC Finalizes Rule Changes for CrossBow Hunting

Just because I wouldnt. When Im laying down a bunch of cash for something, I tend to go higher end or nothing at all. Ive been down the "budget" road before, and it only ended up costing me more. Now mind you, Ill find higher end at a lower price by getting a good deal on used rather than new.

I just dont understand why "Its not a gun its a bow" has been pounded into our heads for all these years but now you can use it during archery season but dont have to take the archery course, because they classified it as a muzzleloader?? I dont think its going to "flood the woods with yahoos", its still an up close and personal piece of hunting gear that requires most of the skill and patience of bowhunting.

• Like 1

I just dont understand why "Its not a gun its a bow" has been pounded into our heads for all these years but now you can use it during archery season but dont have to take the archery course, because they classified it as a muzzleloader?? I dont think its going to "flood the woods with yahoos", its still an up close and personal piece of hunting gear that requires most of the skill and patience of bowhunting.

Couldnt agree more. Tell it to the politicians that put the regs in place. Oh, and thank the NYB for their part in making sure its not classified as archery equipment.

• Like 1

Let me put on my tinfoil hat for a minute at throw this out there. It was classified as it is because there is no way the current education structure for the bow hunter education course could keep up with the demand. I think they want as many as they can to invest in a crossbow and that is accomplished buy the current certification process and just the basic hunter education course. Now that they have people invested in the crossbow hunting and with equipment costing $300 and up, they wait a few years. build up the numbers and then start to sell a crossbow stamp. I figure that will be about the time they implement them in the full archery season.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1

There are already many of them out there, you know that. The guys "raining down 100 yard bombs" with crossbows are probably the same guys trying to rain down 60 yard bombs with vertical bows, or taking shots at deer at 200 yards with their 12 Ga, holding 3 feet over the deers back with a $1 generic lead slug.

They either wont last long once they figure out they actually need woodsmanship skills to get close enough, or they will gain the skills and become fellow archery hunters.

Come on bud, you just got back from an awesome vacation! You shouldnt be so doom and gloom hahahaha.

The uneducated yahoos point was in reference to the fact they don't have to sit through the ed class. Signing paper? Give me a break. It's in archery season, they should be required to take the archery class. Just because it is using a ML tag doesn't mean they can't make it a requirement to sit through the archery class to hunt with a xbow. Coming up with some xbow content is easy for instructors. About half of the xbow crowd will be past archers and they've likely taken the class. Fine. The other half new to xbow, never taking an archery ed class and hunting in archery with a stick/string implement just seems unsafe and borderline unethical.

That's my hang-up.

I wasn't shooting 100 yd bombs...lol. I was able to get 40 yds dialed in within 6 shots though. Not bad. I'll be hunting with it once or twice to say I did. Probably from a ground blind. I doubt I'll hunt with it much other than that. They're kind of boring and annoying to shoot and lug around.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

• 6 years later...
10 minutes ago, shawn said:

the best information related to CrossBow Hunting  after so many searches, I got an authentic site where all information is present related to  CrossBow Hunting. Thank you for sharing so much information.

Yeah, resurrection of a 6 year old thread, first post, and a link. Don't think I'm clicking on that..

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Yeah, resurrection of a 6 year old thread, first post, and a link. Don't think I'm clicking on that..
Not to mention it's his only post on the forum

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

• Like 1