Huge 12 pt hit by car near Roscoe NY

Grouse

What a shame.  A few years ago, I was hunting a good sized buck  near wurtsboro ;unfortunately, turned out w/ same result.  I had his travel corridor and bedding area nailed down, followed the bed out to a grassy area just by the road and, sadly, found him dead about 100 yds from it with a broken leg. Also, whoever hit him (or found his body first) sawed off his rack cuz it was such a trophy- just my luck!!

I believe that area has antler restrictions? I had a place in Roscoe many years ago. My Father inlaw and his brothers would hunt the state land there on Morton Hill road. A lot of history there. So when I had my place there which was on that road I met two late season hunters from PA. They had two bucks in the truck. One was huge! We talked and of course the question I raise is where you get him. That area has like 15000 acres of state land. He told me they dont camp right off the road they hike it in. All predetermined by using Topo maps. Then he says we hunt the shelves off of the mountain sides. A place where no one else goes. Give them credit!

• Like 3

On 12/3/2022 at 7:50 AM, Grouse said:

Well, it's nice to know a deer like that was out there and passed along his genes.  Maybe NY State will start producing more big bucks like this one during hunting seasons.  It's proving to be capable of it.

True That. Here is an example of a pretty deer in the state. Way up North in 6G

87007A41-6EC6-4E19-9289-B0D1BD9B1146.png

• Like 4

On 12/3/2022 at 7:50 AM, Grouse said:

Maybe NY State will start producing more big bucks like this one during hunting seasons.  It's proving to be capable of it.

NYS produces tons of big bucks, we just have to stop shooting them before they get there.

It seems more and more people realize that taking young bucks has consequences down the road. I'm not criticizing anyone for shooting anything, I have shot many young bucks, but once the mindset of "let it grow" sets in, the reward is much more satisfying.  It was for me anyway.  I follow a local taxidermy shop in WNY on FB and some of the bucks they are taking in this year are incredible. 

• Like 4

Another example on our lease, pic taken yesterday. Most areas in NY with some exceptions have giant potential if they can live long enough. Hopefully more and more people get behind this as everyone benefits long term. Screenshot_20221207-101926.jpg

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Here's a similar buck to the one at the beginning of this thread from my area of 8P, Steuben County. I found one of his sheds this past spring and was hoping to find them again. I have no information about the deer other than it was shot during archery season by an out-of-towner. If you doubled his shed from last year he would have been right at 150 gross. He looks much bigger this year!

received_6466091340074606~2.jpeg

IMG_20220415_151638317_HDR.jpg

Screenshot_20220917-190627~2.png

Screenshot_20220917-114526~4.png

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Don_C said:

NYS produces tons of big bucks, we just have to stop shooting them before they get there.

It seems more and more people realize that taking young bucks has consequences down the road. I'm not criticizing anyone for shooting anything, I have shot many young bucks, but once the mindset of "let it grow" sets in, the reward is much more satisfying.  It was for me anyway.  I follow a local taxidermy shop in WNY on FB and some of the bucks they are taking in this year are incredible. 

This is so true and you only need to look at the no hunting areas of NY with deer.  There are deer in these areas that  people get photos of that are easily B&C class bucks.

34 minutes ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

Here's a similar buck to the one at the beginning of this thread from my area of 8P, Steuben County. I found one of his sheds this past spring and was hoping to find them again. I have no information about the deer other than it was shot during archery season by an out-of-towner. If you doubled his shed from last year he would have been right at 150 gross. He looks much bigger this year!

received_6466091340074606~2.jpeg

IMG_20220415_151638317_HDR.jpg

Screenshot_20220917-190627~2.png

Screenshot_20220917-114526~4.png

Such a pretty deer. Can’t imagine hunters not wanting to let more get to this age and look. Once they kill a mature buck most won’t look back.