Hunting Dogs

Great pictures Al.

I raised, trained, hunted, and trialed beagles for many years, And, one of my all time favorites dogs was my mini dachshund, "Squeaker". He was a rat, snake, woodchuck killing machine! Even though he lost a back leg, that had to be amputated after being caught in a neighbors trap and laying there for days before they found him and let him loose to drag himself home.  

He would ride on my tractor when I was brush hogging, and would wait for me to stop and let him jump off to grab field mice and rats, then wait for me to get off to put him back on. lol

He was a great dog and fearless when it came to hunting!

Edited by New York Hillbilly
  • Like 2

I will say it again there is nothing more fun than hunting with good dogs, I hunted everything that walked crawled or flew with my dogs. Yes Paula when you are as old as dirt it provided me with many years and many dogs, over the years I had a lot more than are shown here. To say I was and am fanatical would be putting it mildly.

Al

• Like 2

Great pics! 

I never realized how good my beagles were . These 3 are gone now. I shot this hare they were on ; and another hare  goes by me. They ran it another hour or so till dark. Icy sno-cone texture snow in the Poconos of Pa a few years ago. 

Down to one beagle now.

FB_IMG_1611271619843.jpg

• Like 4

Sorry, no pics available, but I greatly miss my Llewellyn setter. We chased pheasants and grouse for fun, but what a nose! She was certainly better at the game than I was, but we had tons of fun training, raising pheasants for training, etc.  Great dog, but as soon as she was outside, no matter where or when...she was hunting and gone! It was amazing when we were at the camp, upon arrival she was out hunting. She would dissappear for what seemed like the whole day, but was never far off. As soon as I stepped into the woods she was right there with me. 

• Like 2

I have a female Setter myself named Matty, she is bird crazy for sure, Grouse Ridge bred. A snapshot of her below on point on a mourning dove in the front yard. 
Al
2022-12-09_191216.thumb.png.f239b7ef1899207b7ea5527a954a4689.png

Awesome! Did you get her from JC?! Great guy, he’s the one who set me up with the folks in Missouri. Classic Setters in Hartsburg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Don_C said:

Did you get her from JC?!

I obtained Matty from a hunter down in Delhi NY, his last name is Utter and the mating of his personal hunting dog to the Flanagan's Grouse Ridge Luckee was handled by his Mom "Kay".

I also had a previous Grouse Ridge Setter named Stickers whom I obtained from a trainer in PA, He was a real good one out of Grouse Ridge Reroy

Stickers pic below, hunting bud T Findlay on the left and myself on the right.

Al

2934819360033835012aWJFfj_ph.jpg

• Like 2

Amazing! I hope I didn’t come across as if I know anything about these dogs or the breeders, I’m learning a lot, really fast and have met a bunch of folks that are breeding these guys in the last two weeks. From what I have learned, I’ve got a great pup coming my way, I may be reaching out to those of you with much more experience than I, in the coming months.

It's been many years since I've been able to keep a gun dog.  My first was a Visla and then I had Labs.  Living alone and being on the move all the time where a dog cannot follow, keeps me from getting one again.  These days my friends have the dogs I hunt over.  Retirement is coming soon though, and that is when I plan to get a gun dog.  I just hope this old man will be able to keep up with a young pup.

11 hours ago, Don_C said:

I hope I didn’t come across as if I know anything about these dogs or the breeders

Hey Don I am far from being any kind of authority on the English Setters, my expertise is with Airedale Terriers along with in depth knowledge of the English Coonhound breed, these two breeds I have been hunting for over 50 yrs. I have always found it interesting to try out and hunt with other breeds just for the experience. What I can say unequivocally, with hunting dogs it is all about their breeding when it comes to how they perform in the field.

When I decided I wanted to try out an English Setter I did a lot of investigating. Gouse Ridge kennel in Oxford NY kept coming to the forefront for me. The Flanagans have well over 50 years of experience invested in some of the best hunting English Setters in the US, and in competition they have done it all. My two Setters have backed up everything I have heard and read about Grouse Ridge Setters, my instincts were correct, I am totally pleased with how they did and have performed.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

It's been many years since I've been able to keep a gun dog.  My first was a Visla and then I had Labs.  Living alone and being on the move all the time where a dog cannot follow, keeps me from getting one again.  These days my friends have the dogs I hunt over.  Retirement is coming soon though, and that is when I plan to get a gun dog.  I just hope this old man will be able to keep up with a young pup.

I had a Visla, absolute lunatic dog. Good hunter, but totally out of control as a house dog. He went back to the breeder after a year and a half.

I have had just two Setters and from that experience I would say they make some of the nicest house dogs and pets for kids, they absolutely love people and are lap dogs their whole adult life. A large fenced yard is a must in my opinion, they have what seems to be unlimited energy and need to run. Like Daveboone mentioned above they have hunting on the brain and will be long gone searching out game if left to their own. They are very much like Hounds I find, I know Hounds are not looked opon as great pets but that is false, if the time is taken to do some obedience and have a large fenced in yard I don't think you can find a nicer dog.

My old Eli English Coonhound was a house dog and loved to play and fetch like most family dogs. He had to be under supervision when loose because he would take off hunting if not watched.

I never hunted with a better Coon dog than Eli.

Al

2022-12-12_113950.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Here is one of my current setters….Dixie. Got her from a grouse kennel on Kentucky. She is also a Grouse Ridge Reroy pup. Best bird dog I have ever encountered and I have owned and hunted over a great many. She is now 13 and still hunts like a trooper. Steady…methodical and the most gentle soul. 

98100D51-DC54-4BB2-B3C8-C5B74E2BC2D4.jpeg

• Like 3

Here's my most recent pic of my yellow lab Waylon. That was taken 4 days ago on New Years Day. There were 6 of us out hunting that day which was the last day of duck season. He had a ball retrieving all those ducks. Everyone who has seen the pic remarks on how proud he looks. 

IMG_7680.jpg

• Like 4

Josie a Hare bred Beagle, her line hailed from Michigan, she was up on legs so she could go in the snow, had a good cold nose and would make a Hare run for it's life.

Below a photo, asked her if she could speak. Another hunting dog that lived in the house.

Al

2023-01-06_093329.png

• Like 1

The "baleful" stare, my old Den Terrier "Scruffy", maybe the toughest dog I have ever owned. Only 11 or 12 pounds but if there was ever the definition of the old saying "it is not the size of the dog in the fight, it is the size of the fight in the dog" old Scruff met it in spades.

Got her from an old time fox hunting den terrier man name Arnie Morse down in PA.

Al

2023-01-06_093945.png

• Like 1