I Think I Am Ready

airedale

With this nice weather and no snow on the ground I finally got to mess around a little bit with the Excalibur crossbow a little bit. Dialed the scope for a quick sight in and had it hitting where I was aiming at 30 yards with no problem. The "Power Stop" target block worked well and stopped the bolts nicely. 

I will say this thing is not what I call easy to cock especially for a long shooting session with a lot of shots taken, I will have arms like a "Java Man" by the end of the summer LOL!

I will give it a good wringing out when the weather gets nice, so far so good.

Al

1 hour ago, airedale said:

With this nice weather and no snow on the ground I finally got to mess around a little bit with the Excalibur crossbow a little bit. Dialed the scope for a quick sight in and had it hitting where I was aiming at 30 yards with no problem. The "Power Stop" target block worked well and stopped the bolts nicely. 

I will say this thing is not what I call easy to cock especially for a long shooting session with a lot of shots taken, I will have arms like a "Java Man" by the end of the summer LOL!

Al

I was cocking my crossbow during season with wet boots on. It slipped from my feet half cocked. Hit me right in the jewels. ouch!

With my right shoulder giving me fits making drawing back my bow really painful, and wanting to try something new, I I bought my crossbow 2 seasons ago last minute, from Walmart. I discovered very quickly there was no way I was going to be able to cock the bow using the string puller. Thankfully it came with a mechanical cocking device. The mechanical cocking thing once you get used to it is great! Without it, the crossbow would just sit in my closet. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, airedale said:

Al

I think that you will find the crank string cocking device to be money well spent. I found that it not only made life easier when target practicing, but also for making string adjustments.

When I got a new string, I was constantly making adjustments to get it where it needed to be until it was broken in. With the string adjustment rig (basically 2 pieces of plastic to go over each tip end, connected by a rope) and the cranking device, it was easy to add twists to the string.

Good luck with you Excalibur, you made a good choice.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Untwisted Pretzel logic said:
23 hours ago, airedale said:

I think that you will find the crank string cocking device to be money well spent

I am going to hold off for now on the crank cocking device until I see how I do cocking the crossbow over a period several shooting sessions. I watched the online videos of the device in operation and there is no doubt that it works well. I may be wrong but I think the more I manually cock the bow and start gaining technique the process should become somewhat easier, if not I will get a crank.

Al 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, airedale said:

I am going to hold off for now on the crank cocking device until I see how I do cocking the crossbow over a period several shooting sessions. I watched the online videos of the device in operation and there is no doubt that it works well. I may be wrong but I think the more I manually cock the bow and start gaining technique the process should become somewhat easier, if not I will get a crank.

Al 

Just remember to check out the process in a tree stand if that’s where you will be hunting at all. 

• Like 1