Is wrong color license illegal?

nycredneck

One time many, many  years ago I bought my license in a small hunting/ fishing store in the middle of the Adirondack's and all she had was the previous years color and she printed my new license on it. Later on that summer I was fishing the Delaware River and was approached by a warden in a canoe, he said that he was going to ticket me for wrong license, I showed the dates were correct and that I paid my yearly money to fish. He gave me a hard time but I kept laughing at him and saying I paid my money, finally a second warden came along to see what was happening and told the first guy to give me a break.

So is it illegal?  

I can't see how if you paid, even back then when it was not DEC fault.

I just picked up mine for this year and it is printed on the same yellow paper as last year.  The printing (of the numbers) is a little different.  I didn't reallize it until I got home and switched it out of my holder.  I hope it doesn't create a problem.  

My lifetime license was printed on camo paper, my buddy has yellow.  I do not think it will be an issue because of the dates printed.  This is not an isolated incident and I think many will have yellow instead of the new camo.  I believe the DEC will know about this.

I've got the right colored tags, but on the DMPs and the bow/muzz carcass tag, the registration from the front of the tags to the rear of the tags are mis-registered pretty badly. The thing is that there are items that have to be filled out on the front, and the month and day areas that have to be cut out when a deer is harvested. So if there is significant mis-registration, in one case (the bow carcass tag) the line on the front where you have to fill in the town and WMU number are over on the other side of the perforations and are part of the next tag. Something is not going to be contained on the tag....lol. The DMP carcass tags were also mis-registered but at least all the lines of info that I have to fill out are on the same tag. Oh, and by the way, good luck getting a ballpoint pen to write in that glossy surface

I had a friend get the new license and have the same problem with his DMP (ie. carrying over to the next tag). I have a Yellow license for 14-15 Walmart didn't have the new printer yet so i would expect this to be common knowledge by DEC.  In your case you probably got a fairly new DEC officer who didn't know what he was talking about.... As long as it reads 2014-2015 your legal 

• 2 weeks later...

I was fishing the Delaware River and was approached by a warden in a canoe, he said that he was going to ticket me for wrong license, I showed the dates were correct and that I paid my yearly money to fish. He gave me a hard time

It's possible that the wardens who confronted you were not NYSDEC, but rather from the NYCDEP.