45 degrees & rain OR 15 degrees wind & snow

nybuckboy

I’m not a fan of high winds but the cold don’t bother me much.  I can easily sit for hours in zero degree F temps,  if I have on my Mickey Mouse boots, long underwear, down vest, thinsulate lined jacket and bibs, face mask, wool hat, and my hands in a muff with a hand warmer.  

Throw in that wind though, and I’d definitely pick the calm, rainy 45 degree day.  Deer don’t move much on windy days regardless of temps.  A tree umbrella is a cheap easy solution to rain on a calm day. 

I always thought that the snare-drum like noise, that the rain made on the tree umbrella would scare the deer away, but I finally managed to kill two while it was pounding it, from less less than 20 yards away.  Former site member Tacs always said that the drum noise wouldn’t bother them, and by-golly, I guess I proved him right.  

I'd take the 15 F with snow and light wind any day. Hunting deer in the snow is about as good as it gets. With all the options in modern clothing out there today, any serious deer hunter should be able to stay warm in that. I use layers, good boots, toe warmers and hand warmers plus a heater body suit if it's really cold and I'm sitting all day.