New Caller

I guess I am what would be called a casual varmint hunter with modest success, I call mostly in the early morning or just before dark, my calls are a variety of hand calls for the most part. I do have an electronic FoxPro with a short range remote, their very first model I believe. It's main use has always been for crow hunting and it has worked OK for that. I have taken a few Fox and Coyote with it down through the years.

Decided to upgrade with something a bit more modern, nothing fancy, an ICOTEC with more call variety and a much longer range remote, louder too, it also has a decoy that is also remotely operated. Had a Red Fox kill a bunch of chickens last summer this call worked good and I am pretty sure I got the right culprit.

Going to try for some Coyotes with this thing and I think I will be using that new Marlin 62 levermatic in 256 Winchester Mag I picked up a short time ago. This caller should work a bit better for crows I think too.

Al

2022-12-07_173222.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Shoots100 said:

You need to jump into the dark side feet first and get some type of night vision to get more use out of that call.

LOL, I have had my share of night hunting stumbling through the woods chasing Coon Dawgs for over 50 years. Varmint hunting has always been an in the daylight proposition for me, heck back when I started there was no such thing as nighttime varmint hunting.

Like previously stated I am more of a casual varmint hunter and the electronic calls I have purchased were primarily for crow hunting which this new current one will probably be used most for and is a blast by the way. My first E caller way back when was a Johnny Stewart and a contraption it was, it weighed a ton and went through 9D batteries like water through a sieve. On top of that the heavy metal speaker was wired. Setting it up for a crow hunt was doable but for run and gun varmint hunting it sucked, just too much of everything to be carrying.

Picture of a good old JS caller below.

When FoxPro came on the scene with their lightweight portable callers and rechargeable batteries it was a game changer. My old one still works great.

Al

2022-12-08_054624.png