Anyone remember these prices ?

fasteddie

I remember those kinds of prices, I am not familiar with that particular store. What is interesting is that I have at one time purchased and hunted with many of those firearms and some I still own.

The Ithaca 37 in a Deerslayer model in 20 ga, the Remington 1100 in 20 ga, The H&R single shot in 20 ga, The Remington 742 in 30-06, The Remington Nylon 66 and several Marlin Lever Actions.

Al

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

You guys must be really old.   Lol

Those numbers are cheaper than I remember.   Any idea how old the ad is?

It's dated 1972....At that time I was halfway through a 2 year active duty assignment on the USS Moale, DD-693.....

• Like 1

I remember, believe it or not, that when I was in High School (1970) you could buy an 870 at the local JC Penneys in Rochester.  I got my Wingmaster at Beikirchs for around $140 as I recall.  My father bought it for me, that was a lot of money for us back then.  Still have it, still use it, will pass it on to a family member when I move on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jperch said:

I remember, believe it or not, that when I was in High School (1970) you could buy an 870 at the local JC Penneys in Rochester.  I got my Wingmaster at Beikirchs for around $140 as I recall.  My father bought it for me, that was a lot of money for us back then.  Still have it, still use it, will pass it on to a family member when I move on.

In 1965 I bought a Winchester 1200 pump with a modified vent rib barrel . It had the Winchester Recoil Reduction System . I paid $108 at Beikirchs when they were on Winton Road .

• Like 1

In the early eighties we eagerly awaited the prehunting season Kmart ads. Your choice Federal, Winchester or Remington deer slugs two bucks a box, A box of field loads (25 rds) of 12 gausge for 3.97. Winchester 94s or Marlin 336 for under two hundred dollars! Locally Kmart or Sears was the main go to for working man hunting stuff, but even drug stores or hardware stores fequently would have basic 12 gauge rounds or the most popular rifle rounds. 

My first shotgun was a 25.00 bolt action JC Higgins bolt action 12 gauge with a 36 inch barrel! Duty for everything from squirrel, grouse, deer...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, luberhill said:

I bought a model 37 Deerslayer new in 1977 at Ralins in Syracuse for 129.00

11 hours ago, Nomad said:

And what was you’re weekly pay back then ? 
Guns are cheaper today .

I am not sure I agree with guns are cheaper today.  Back then the big manufactures were just making guns and not budget or entry level guns.  The budget or entry level guns are of lesser quality (think Remington Express).   Back then we were able to afford the standar higher quality guns.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, DoubleDose said:

I am not sure I agree with guns are cheaper today.  Back then the big manufactures were just making guns and not budget or entry level guns.  The budget or entry level guns are of lesser quality (think Remington Express).   Back then we were able to afford the standar higher quality guns.  

Absolutely!  You got a quality gun with a nice wood stock.  Today you can buy these budget guns for cheap but you get a cheap plastic stock that wiggles and wobbles and the finish on these guns is quite poor.  Yeah, they work and will kill game but they are nothing compared to the quality you got years ago.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hunter1 said:

In the early 80's my rem 742 was 149.00 at a dept store  rem 1100 was !99.00 at a gun shop. The good old days

If you got a brand new Rem 742 in the early 80's for that price you got an unbelievable deal.  I bought a Rem 700 in 1985 and the Rem 742's were around the same price and they were selling around the $300 price range.