Beginner hunter tomkins county

ajdal94

You do realize that whole books have been written on the subject and they still don't provide any guaranteed methods. This is a pretty wide-ranging question you've asked here.

I can make a few suggestions:

First, find an area that has a visibly high concentration of deer.

Second, learn their patterns of movement.

Third, put yourself at an intercept point.

Piece of cake right? Each one of those are an entire book by themselves.

• Like 1

As Doc said above, you first have to put yourself where the deer will be. This means scouting,especially before the season.

Once you've found a promising location, basic woodsmanship skills play a big part. Are you actually being as still and quiet as you want/need to be? Constantly jerking your head around at every little noise you hear is a natural human reaction that has to be consciously unlearned. If you find that you can't sit still for any length of time, I would recommend a ground blind.

Are you paying attention to your scent and where it's going in the woods. Even a slight breeze at your back is generally a bad thing, whether you're on stand or walking in to the stand location. You have to respect a deer's nose. He can tell what you had for breakfast before you even get out of your car. In general, keep the wind in your face at all times.

Be confident and keep a positive mental attitude. Sounds silly, but you can't walk into the woods thinking that you're wasting your time. You've worked at finding a good spot and honing your woodsmanship and shooting skills, now go out there with a can-do attitude. Your time will come. Best of luck.

• Like 2

If you do not have enough time to do this stuff, pick up a good book on the subject.  Or several.  All the information Doc and Philoshop posted above is key.  The best deer hunters scout and already know a few spots that hold many deer and have picked out a few to target. 

Study topo and satellite maps, understand how other hunters will push deer and try to get away from the crowd if possible.  Hunt as long as possible, deer move most during dusk and dawn but will move during the day especially during rut.  Never give up EVER!  Stay alert, be aware of everything around you and become a part of the woods.  Enjoy what you are doing and the woods peaceful bliss and all the critters that call it home.  Base your success on opportunities and sightings vs kills and you will enjoy the woods much more.

Where are you hunting and are you using bow or gun? 

• Like 1

ok that's a tough gig, but it can be done. Early, mid and late season tactics are different so you'll need to do some "in season" scouting whenever you're in the woods to look/listen for signs of changing deer patterns.

If you don't have a few stand sites/deer runs picked out by now, go do that.

Early season is tough due to warmer temps and the bucks are not looking for love yet. Try to concentrate on food, water & bedding zones. They will likely not be bedding too far from food/water so you'll need to intercept them in the middle. In doing so, you should be very mindful of the wind direction and have a planned route to your stand/blind that doesn't alert the deer by sound or smell.

Mid season is time to start hunting where the does are. The bucks are figuring out pecking order and establishing dominance. Scrapes will start popping up and you'll notice more deer moving in daylight hours. Scents and calls can be useful tools at this point.

Late bow season is madness! It is then that bucks are the least predictable and most vulnerable because they are seeking out "hot" does and on the move 24/7. The does will be on a somewhat normal routine(eating & bedding), but the bucks have love on the brain so they'll seldom stop to eat/bed. If you know where a group of does are spending alot of time, you should be close by because the bucks will be coming through to "check up" on the does and check for any that have come into estrus(heat).

Maybe this will help you, but the most important thing is to have fun, be safe and never stop learning about your quarry. Good luck

• Like 1

Become an expert with your weapon, range trees and other noticeable spots where deer travel so you will not have to range them if a deer pops out.  Stay within your effective range.  I can shoot out to 70 yards with my bow but I want a shot less than 50 yards with 0-40 being my lethal range.  Practice how you will hunt, if you plan on using a stand then practice from the same height and distance.

Hunt where you see the most sign and deer.  I usually do not use calls until rut kicks in but a high pitched grunt call is very effective when used properly.  (Simulating a young buck.)  Do not over use your calls.  I typically use a doe in heat call once every 20 minutes max and only call roughly 4 times a day.  Grunt tub is used less and is usually to respond to another grunt from a buck or to try and call a buck in closer. 

Be safe, use a safety harness if you go up a tree.  If you go solo let someone know where you plan to hunt and what time you should be back.  If cell phone works where you hunt bring it and make sure it is charged.  If any gun hunters are possible where you hunt put some orange on you. 

Good luck!  Hope to see some pictures of your success!    

Not sure where you are in Tompkins County, but I have hunted Taughannock Falls State Park and have had good luck there. I love hunting the park because there is so many gully's, that there are tons of nature funnels to setup in. I now have alot of private land between owning and having permission, I have not hunted the Park in several years.Or check out the Cornell Deer Program

http://wildlifecontrol.info/deer/Pages/DeerHunting.aspx

Edited by HectorBuckBuster

• 2 months later...

Last year was my first time bowhunting. I was on Cornell property with a high deer population but I didn't see a single deer all season. If you are hunting from the ground like I am, make sure to control your scent. I have been paying more attention to it this year and have had a couple close encounters so far.