Dogwood Cuttings & Frost Seeding Berries

Anyone have any luck with dogwood cuttings?  How did you do it?  When did you do it?  Soak in water?  Rooting hormone?  I plan on taking a bunch of them and sticking them in the ground but I am not sure if I can do it now or have to wait until spring.

Lastly, anyone ever try frost seeding blackberries or raspberries?  Or any other kind of berry or bush.  Seems those little seeds would work about the same as clovers or grasses.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I did a bunch of that when I first bought land. It seemed like it would be an easy way to establish cover. Turns out that without a weed mat and protection, the return on your time is virtually nil. I'm not sure that any of the hundreds of poplar, willow, elderberry, dogwood, or any type of cutting that I planted actually survived. That having been said, I also helped a buddy out doing things the right way with long rolls of landscape fabric and protection from the deer, and he has beautiful screening hedges now - so it works if you pay attention to the details. 

I never tried blackberry or raspberry from seed (I did plant some named blackberry cultivars for consumption). Any opening at all and those seem to sprout on their own from native stock if I don't mow. Raspberry is nice, but blackberry can become a messy tangle of impenetrable thorns very quickly.

• Like 1

Red Oiser Dogwoods?  cut them at an angle with a couple scions well above you cutting, add a dab of root growth compound to it and push it into the ground. I would fence them for year one. Push them in the ground Late winter when the ground begins to thaw.. This way you dont have to worry about winter messing with them. 

As for your fruit shrubs, just seed them at home and when they sprout, and are tall enough, plant them and cage / short tube them. You should be able to cut blueberry branches and add root compound to them and push them into the ground as well, doesn't work every time but I've had it work. My blueberries are huge and plentiful 

Edited by LET EM GROW

On 12/10/2022 at 5:25 PM, LetEmGrow said:

Lastly, anyone ever try frost seeding blackberries or raspberries?  Or any other kind of berry or bush.  Seems those little seeds would work about the same as clovers or grasses.

Thanks.

I've propagated Black berries by tip layering.   Once a shoot has rooted and established, you can dig it up and relocate it.

I have a few patches around that yard and garden that I established from wild stock growing in hedgerows this way.

• Like 1