Lighted Crossbow Nocks?

airedale

Absolutely a Yea. There are the same advantages that apply to lighted compound bow nocks. I have taken several deer and a black bear with my crossbow with lighted nocks and the lighted nocks have made retrieval of the crossbow bolts very easy.      valoroutdoors.com

image000000.thumb.jpg.a8279934900e280e24480341292337ef.jpg

Edited by CharlieNY
Add
  • Like 2

Not necessary. Most of your shots in the woods are going to be 30 yards or less.  If you take an ethical shot with a crossbow shooting 330 fps or more, in almost all cases you will have a pass through and will find the bolt on the ground behind your target. You will have a good blood trail and can retrieve your animal.

Keep it simple. Just get brightly colored vanes.

If you are really set on spending $ and playing with another toy; then go for it. Rember you will want everything consistent so you will want the same weight bolts from front - field point/broadhead to back - your nocks.

I thought you were just target shooting?  Not sure if you need these for target shooting. Probably use good binos to see your arrows in target instead of screwing around with lighted nocks.

• Like 1

As I try to bring myself up to speed on crossbows just about everything I read and in the videos I have watched a very large portion of crossbow shooters seem to favor lighted nocks for all sorts of various reasons and why I posed the question about them.

Thanks to all who took time to reply.

Al

• Like 2

6 hours ago, airedale said:

in the videos I have watched a very large portion of crossbow shooters seem to favor lighted nocks

Yes, that makes sense.  Think about it.  If you are doing a video for the internet, then visual effects are important and lighted nocks are good for videos. Also, many of the tv shows are promoting what their sponsors are selling, and if one of their sponsors is lighted nocks - guess what they are going to use?  Marketing works, and hunters like to buy new stuff; that's the way it is, which is good for the economy.

I believe your Excalibur uses flat nocks on their crossbows.  Either with or without adding the nocks, let's say a six pack of bolts will cost around $60. To put lighted nocks on all six bolts will cost another $60 if you are looking to keep things consistent with your practice set up.

If you lose one bolt because it doesn't have a lighted nock, so what, you are only out $10. I would be surprised if you lose any bolts, as you will find out crossbows are extremely accurate, and you will be hitting right where you're aiming virtually every time (don't shoot at the same spot if you already have a bolt in the target).  You were looking for target suggestions, I would recommend the Hurricane H25.  It will easily stop what you are shooting.

Good luck in your research and whatever you decide.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fasteddie said:

Lighted nocks also help finding the bolt after a pass through . Not always easy finding a bolt in the grass after a pass through without a lighted nock . It's only money ! 

Exactly and for the price it will pay off. Find the bolt after the shot if pass thru….My Scorpyd will sink them to the Nock after blowing thru. See where you hit the deer and even find the deer with the lighted nock if not a pass thru. Shooting 60-80 yards into targets show where your grouping. Definitely not a have to have but for the little they cost…Seeing though the crossbow was over two grand..They are definitely worth the cash. 

• Like 1

My perspective is from shooting less than 350 fps. I can see that if one is shooting a higher speed xbow then sinking into the ground may be an issue. Probably a bigger issue is hitting a rock or something in the ground that will break your bolt.

Of the 10 deer that I have killed with a crossbow and six that my 2 friends have killed, we have had no problems finding the bolts from our "slow" crossbows. One of my buddies did break a bolt this year after his passthrough shot hit a rock. It should be noted that we are all hunting from elevated tree stands in the deep woods and not in grass fields.

Everyone has a different situation, so choose what will work best for your situation.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Not necessary. Most of your shots in the woods are going to be 30 yards or less.  If you take an ethical shot with a crossbow shooting 330 fps or more, in almost all cases you will have a pass through and will find the bolt on the ground behind your target. You will have a good blood trail and can retrieve your animal.
Keep it simple. Just get brightly colored vanes.
If you are really set on spending $ and playing with another toy; then go for it. Rember you will want everything consistent so you will want the same weight bolts from front - field point/broadhead to back - your nocks.
I thought you were just target shooting?  Not sure if you need these for target shooting. Probably use good binos to see your arrows in target instead of screwing around with lighted nocks.

Shot a few deer 30 yds without the lighted nocks and I'm still look for them every time I'm in that area. Not as easy as you think

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk