Transporting my gun.

First-light

It’s ok to have powder and bullet in it, as long as there is no percussion cap or primer on it.  It is still a “firearm” though, so you need a lock on your case, if you leave it unattended in the vehicle.   

With my in-line, I always load it the first day of the season, and just uncap it at the end of each hunt.  I leave it out on my unheated barn, or out on the porch at my in-laws, to avoid the condensation moisture from bringing it into and out of a heated space.  

Never had a mis-fire or hang fire from doing that.  Last year, my load was in from mid-December until January 1. 

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 2

Is a muzzleloader considered a firearm now? Last I knew, you could still buy one and have it shipped to your home … but the last time I bought one was pre-2013.

The “lock up” implications wolc mentioned got me thinking …

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, escpen said:

Is a muzzleloader considered a firearm now? Last I knew, you could still buy one and have it shipped to your home … but the last time I bought one was pre-2013.

The “lock up” implications wolc mentioned got me thinking …

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is in NY state.  It is subject to the same 500 ft “set back” rules as a center fire or shotgun or rim-fire rifle.  I have one deer stand, that is only 300 ft from a building I don’t have permission from, so I got to use my crossbow there (250 ft setback requirement). The crossbows also got the shaft in NY, where vertical bows only have a 100 ft setback requirement.  

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Robby said:

Whatever you do, it's probably a felony, cuz New York.

Robby

Based on her recent move, to block any county from “opting out” of the Holiday ML season, it looks like our governor is a strong supporter ML deer hunters.  

That will probably cost her some votes from the snowmobilers though. I don’t suppose they fit in so well with her green energy initiative.  Are electric snowmobiles available ? 

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

Based on her recent move, to block any county from “opting out” of the Holiday ML season, it looks like our governor is a strong supporter ML deer hunters.  

That will probably cost her some votes from the snowmobilers though. I don’t suppose they fit in so well with her green energy initiative.  Are electric snowmobiles available ? 

Perhaps she has become an ultra-conservative constitutionalist and believes 2A is only about muzzleloaders and "...shall not be infringed"! :rofl:  

13 hours ago, luberhill said:

It doesn’t have to be in a case unless you leave it unattended 

It doesn’t just have to be in a case, it has to be a case that locks, is tamper proof and has to be fire proof. How many people actually went out and bought one of those this year??  I didn’t even look for one. I transported my firearms like I always do. I’m always dressed in plain clothes as I never wear my hunting clothes until I get to the spot I’m hunting. When I’m done clothes and gun go back in the bed of the truck. How is anyone going to know you have a gun in your vehicle and you are leaving it “unattended”??

1 hour ago, boo711 said:

It doesn’t just have to be in a case, it has to be a case that locks, is tamper proof and has to be fire proof. How many people actually went out and bought one of those this year??  I didn’t even look for one. I transported my firearms like I always do. I’m always dressed in plain clothes as I never wear my hunting clothes until I get to the spot I’m hunting. When I’m done clothes and gun go back in the bed of the truck. How is anyone going to know you have a gun in your vehicle and you are leaving it “unattended”??

Yea but read it again , says fireproof BUT plastic case is acceptable :)

I'm so glad these rules are in place to keep crime in check.  I'm sure replacing my right to exercise my 2nd Amendment freedoms with complete oppression is worth all of the lives being saved.  I would hate to be arrested and jailed because a criminal stole my gun and had to suffer the humility of arrest and release without bail soon after.

8 hours ago, luberhill said:

Yea but read it again , says fireproof BUT plastic case is acceptable :)

My point was I’m not going to change the way I do thing’s because of this law. I’ve never had an issue transporting a firearm. Don’t see having an issue in the future.  If what you have been doing has been working, keep doing it. Have a great Christmas Day!!!

• Like 1

It would probably be amusing to ask that question of the DEC and then call the local state police barracks, and see how the answers vary. Most likely if you called two different DEC offices you would probably get two different answers. NYS has scrambled up gun laws so bad I doubt if there is a single point source that understands them.

• Like 1