scope sighting on muzzleloader

nybuckboy

Where i hunt ...in the woods, it is unusual to have shots longer than 75 yards. I rarely take a shot that far, and shoot strictly open sights so I am dead on at 75. Sight your gun at expected ranges, then take a few shots at half that distance so you know what it does. Regardless what a lot of folks think , even with the new powders, modern black powders and projectiles still have a trajectory like a rainbow compared to modern cartridges. Dont worry about the legendary 200 yard shots you hear bragged about. Sight for where you are hunting. And I certainly hunt differently with my ML than I do with centerfire....pickier on shots, closer, etc.

• Like 3

I’m dead on at 50 yards for my Wolf. I see about a 1” drop at 100 yards with my setup. I don’t hunt in too many places where I’m shooting 100+ yards late season. I don’t know what it’d do beyond that.

My Vortek UL is 1” high at 50 yards and I’m capable of deer accuracy out to 140-150 yards without accounting for holdover. I lose a lot of height after 150 however as my load is not hot. Runs out of steam fast.

With MZ you do need to test each scenario to know limits.

• Like 2

It appears that I probably should reacess my sighting.  I use 2 pellets and 270 gr power belts. I do have areas where I sit that are easily 150 yds though. I do like the idea of citing it at the 50 yard distance though, and perhaps 2 inches high at 50 might be more suitable for my area.

FYI: Hodgdon's sells a magnum 777 pellet (Red box) that is about 60gr each. Gives a mid-option between 2 vs 3 pellet loads of the typical 50gr pellets. Not always easy to find at BassPro, etc.

Like others have mentioned, before sighting in your ML you need to determine what your typical range and max shot would be. Obviously hunting along the edge of open fields would differ in max shot distance opposed to hunting in thickets or small woodlots. Might seem counter intuitive, but if 90% of the deer you've seen in your favorite spot are at 50yrds or less, sighting in a ML at 100yrds might be foolish. JMO!