Hunting Coyotes with Decoy Dogs

I put up a hi quality video I think is one of the best explaining Coyote hunting using decoy dogs, some hunters use the word tolling. The Airedale in this video is well trained and doing exactly what is needed to bring the Coyotes to the gun.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 3

The number one lesson a Coyote dog has to learn is recall, this step is taught with the use of an electronic collar with a tone button. When that tone button is hit the dog must return to the hunter-handler without hesitation.

There is a method to the madness, part one is when the Coyotes come into the call the dog is released and goes to the Coyote and gives chase. The tone button is then hit and the dog comes back to the hunter with the Coyotes tolling in pursuit shortly after. The Dog will stay close to the hunter keep the Coyote's attention focused giving the hunter a chance for a good shot.

Once the shot is taken the dog is released and will clean things up if necessary.

I use my dogs in a modified version of the above method I learned from an old veteran hunter on the Airedale message board named Bob McClellan from California who has since passed away. He would never send his dogs out to toll, they were trained to stay close to him at all times. The scenario would be much the same as after the dog was recalled in the above video. Hunting mostly woods this method has worked best for me. The Coyote's attention will be focused on my dog long enough for me to get a shot. I have had a bit of success with Foxes using that method also.

Old "Slick" below was the last dog I had trained for varmints as I don't hunt them anywhere near as much as I once did.

2022-12-14_082547.png

2022-12-14_143912.png

Siting out in the woods one day on the first week of gun season this year, I got to hear an interesting exchange. Between a dog on a local property and a coyote. I guess it was trying to draw the dog out. The dog would bark and bark for several minutes. And then when it would finally quiet down, the coyote would yip and bark and it would start all over again. This cycle went on for 45 minutes or more.